Photo Critique Club

Post #1300 go look at it and vote below

• Total voters
I've read the thread on taking better pictures of your chicks...so I've got the sun behind me, I'm down on chicks level, i cleanedthe camera. What else do I need to do?
Very nice photo! I'd suggest maybe getting a bit closer in as well as improving the lighting. This was taken in very harsh, flat midday sunlight. Perhaps it would look better when the sun is lower in the sky (morning/evening) to get that nice soft golden hour lighting. Just a thought.

I've read the thread on taking better pictures of your chicks...so I've got the sun behind me, I'm down on chicks level, i cleanedthe camera. What else do I need to do?
This is a great snapshot. Your birb is looking at you and nicely in focus. What lets it down is the very busy background with objects that appear to be off angle because of their relative position in the yard. It can't be helped sometimes. As Bucky mentioned, the bright direct lighting tends to flatten the image out and lose those nice blended mid tones between full light and shadow that can give an image depth. Zooming in a bit and having some less cluttered background would help a lot. Changing the time of day you take your photos will also help add depth and drama.

Again, this isn't a bad shot, I'd print it for the fridge or a photo album any day. It's still doing a great job of preserving a moment in time.

I'm not happy with this yet, it's a work in progress. Thoughts from the hive mind on it?
It's 3 frames blended. Things I'm still working on are the ghosting (the frames were same aspect ratio from same position but still are slightly offset for some reason.), the duplicated lights, and the color balance.

_DSC0951-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

I'm not happy with this yet, it's a work in progress. Thoughts from the hive mind on it?
It's 3 frames blended. Things I'm still working on are the ghosting (the frames were same aspect ratio from same position but still are slightly offset for some reason.), the duplicated lights, and the color balance.

View attachment 3219287
I like this one. Should be great once you get the horizons all lined up and the colors matched. Cropping is personal preference, but since there's not a whole lot going on at the top of it I think it might benefit from a 1:2 aspect ratio.

_DSC0951-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
What does this mean? :pop
I have 3 individual photos that I imported as layers in photoshop, then toggle the layer visibility to "light". This allows them to transparently blend into one single image to stack multiple lightning strikes into one finished frame. Astrophotography uses a very similar process to get nice clean exposures, but there's some additional specialized star stacking tools you also use to handle things like motion blur in the image.

OK so to kind of show my work here a little. Here's the 3 images I started with.
_DSC0951-Edit.jpg
_DSC0956.jpg
_DSC0959.jpg

This is what I have after merging them together, and then some extensive and meticulous use of the eraser, clone, and heal tools in photoshop. Plus fiddling with the color balance. Not 100% totally happy with it, but it's going to be good enough because I'm tired of messing. You can see the elements from the first 3 images all in this composite.

_DSC0951-Edit-Edit.jpg

Back
Top Bottom