Photo of Phinny's sick feet.

CallyB57

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Northeast Louisiana
My rooster's feet have always been perfect - gold and tight scales - no problems whatsoever. Yesterday I was flabbergasted at the change in his feet. They were oozing a small drop of blood at the root of a few of the feathers and all along the line of his foot feathers on each toe, and between his toes it was a bright, inflamed looking pink. There is some swelling around little bumps between the feathers. I mixed some peroxide with water and bathed his feet (he didn't like it) and then after drying, put some neosporin all along the sides of his toes where it looked inflamed. Lately we have had a lot of rain here, but the chicken pen is on a hill and drains well, and there is grass still covering the pecking pen. The only time he walks in wet dirt, mixed with some poo, of course, from roosting, is when he goes inside his fenced pen for water, or wants to get on his roost, so he does not walk in mud all day, though the grass is always wet due to so much rain. Could this be some kind of fungus??? He is almost 8 months old, and other than this sudden problem with his feet, he seem to be perfectly healthy. There are no mites or bugs under his wings. I will try to post the photo now. Please help me, if you know what this could be! Thank you.

He could have scaley leg mites. That will cause some inflamation, and the scales will look abnormal.

All you have to do is vaseline (petroleum Jelly) it for a few days, and it should clear up, if thats the problem.

Sounds like scaly mites. They are too small to see and burrow under the scales. Vaseline on the legs or Dietmaceous Earth works well. good luck! T

Yeah any oily substance will work - anything that coats uniformly & holds on - smoothers the mites - ole timers mixed sulfer into the oil/vaseline to help any secondary infection from the mites. The only thing is that you will have to do this daily for a couple of weeks then again after a week or two. I just use ivermectin cattle inj (1% solution) orally & it will kill the mites. Treat once & then repaet in 2 weeks. Works great. Bantams I use 2 or 3 drops dropped in mouth. large breeds 5 to 6 drops dropped in mouth. And yes - treat the whole pen. Wouldn't hurt to spray the cage, roosts, next boxes with a insecticide that kills mites also.

I was wondering about this too.. one of my roosters has bigger scales like what you described, but never have any of the other chickens got inflamation on there scales..? is that just the way he is? because he is pretty old.. :O

Back
Top Bottom