Photo op with Lenny and Ming Ming

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Orphy, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Orphy

Orphy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    I was out in the coop with the chickens, spending time with my new little baby chicks that came in about a month ago. When all of a sudden Lenny and Ming Ming (two babies my broody buff hatched in Oct) jumped up onto my shoulders! So I had to take a picture of them!
    [​IMG]

Right after I took this pic Lenny (the roo) got ahold of my diamond earing and pulled it out! In a panic I tried to hurry and get it away from him, I was so afraid that he would swallow it and I would have to dig through chicken poop for the next week!

So here I am, Lenny on my shoulder and me trying to get the earing out of his beak, when he drops it on the ground!
    I am really in a panic now, I have all 8 of my hens running towards us now trying to figure out what the fuss is about and if treats are involved. Everyone is pecking at the ground trying to see what I am looking for, while I am trying to keep a 2 foot radius around where I think the earring might have fell.

What a sight! Finally I see it in the dirt! Whew, what a day...

Life lesson #32794:
    Do not wear fancy jewelry when playing with chickens.

2. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    The earring would probably have been nicely polished after a trip through a gizzard!! Organic diamond cleaning!

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    So glad you found your earring before they did - it's amazing what things catch their eye. And they're so fast when they're determined to catch something...

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Ha ha- I lost a pearl this same way. Now have had my backs converted to screw-ons!

5. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I know what you mean about them going after everything. My boyfriend and his son were in the back yard playing w airsoft guns.. they shoot little plastic bbs. well I guess I saw them shoot over the chicken coop then i saw all the chickens run to one corner. So I had to make sure they didnt play too close to them or I would see little green and glow in the dark bbs in there poop!!![​IMG]

6. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Ahh. Someone else who has to suffer through the wonder pets

7. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think that's ever going to be a problem for me. I don't even own a pair of earrings! [​IMG] I'm too old and frumpy for such finery! You know that old saying....Ya can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? Yeah, that's me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by