1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Photo op with Lenny and Ming Ming

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Orphy, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Orphy

Orphy Songster

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    I was out in the coop with the chickens, spending time with my new little baby chicks that came in about a month ago. When all of a sudden Lenny and Ming Ming (two babies my broody buff hatched in Oct) jumped up onto my shoulders! So I had to take a picture of them!
    [​IMG]

Right after I took this pic Lenny (the roo) got ahold of my diamond earing and pulled it out! In a panic I tried to hurry and get it away from him, I was so afraid that he would swallow it and I would have to dig through chicken poop for the next week!

So here I am, Lenny on my shoulder and me trying to get the earing out of his beak, when he drops it on the ground!
    I am really in a panic now, I have all 8 of my hens running towards us now trying to figure out what the fuss is about and if treats are involved. Everyone is pecking at the ground trying to see what I am looking for, while I am trying to keep a 2 foot radius around where I think the earring might have fell.

What a sight! Finally I see it in the dirt! Whew, what a day...

Life lesson #32794:
    Do not wear fancy jewelry when playing with chickens.

2. specklesmom

specklesmom Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    The earring would probably have been nicely polished after a trip through a gizzard!! Organic diamond cleaning!

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Songster

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    So glad you found your earring before they did - it's amazing what things catch their eye. And they're so fast when they're determined to catch something...

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Songster

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Ha ha- I lost a pearl this same way. Now have had my backs converted to screw-ons!

5. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Songster

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I know what you mean about them going after everything. My boyfriend and his son were in the back yard playing w airsoft guns.. they shoot little plastic bbs. well I guess I saw them shoot over the chicken coop then i saw all the chickens run to one corner. So I had to make sure they didnt play too close to them or I would see little green and glow in the dark bbs in there poop!!![​IMG]

6. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Ahh. Someone else who has to suffer through the wonder pets

7. Serrin

Serrin Songster

I don't think that's ever going to be a problem for me. I don't even own a pair of earrings! [​IMG] I'm too old and frumpy for such finery! You know that old saying....Ya can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? Yeah, that's me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by