Photo references for painting

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Paintrrr, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Paintrrr

Paintrrr New Egg

Jan 22, 2017
    Hi,
    Thanks for welcoming me to this group. I am a painter, and have lately been exploring chickens, (but would also love to do rabbits, ducks, mice, goats other interesting domestic animals) but would like better photos as reference. I noticed that members have posted many photos in the galleries on the site, but wanted to check that it was appropriate to use the photos.
    If not, does anyone in the Durham Region (near Toronto, Ontario Canada) have chickens etc that they would allow me to photograph?

Thanks so much,

Catherine

2. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

I'm also an artist and what I usually do is ask for permission to draw /paint a certain members photographs. They say yes, more then they say no. I'll also PM then a picture of the finished product to say thank you. Good luck! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Paintrrr [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree with NickyKnack, if you PM the owner and ask to use their photo, more often than not it will probably be a “Yes”.

I like you avatar!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Catherine, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Best wishes to you and your paintings! [​IMG]

5. Paintrrr

Paintrrr New Egg

Jan 22, 2017
    Thanks Teila and NickyKnacks and Redsoxs'

Will follow your advice, much appreciated.

Catherine

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You might try posting on your state thread to find members close by that would be pleased to let you photograph their birds (and a lot of members have other animals as well). Here's a link to help you get to your state thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

If you'd like to share any of your work here on BYC, check the Hobbies forum under Miscellaneous, you may find other artists that enjoy the same thing. Under the Misc. section, you'll also find a link for "other pets and livestock".

Thanks for joining us!

8. Paintrrr

Paintrrr New Egg

Jan 22, 2017
    Thanks NFC,
    I'm in Ontario, Canada, but will hunt around for friendly chicken people.[​IMG]

Catherine

9. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  10. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC Catherine! Glad you joined us. I'm sure many people would be glad to let you paint their chickens or other animals. Just ask around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by