Photo request of Splash Marans..roos and pullets PIC's updated!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pinkchick, Feb 15, 2009.

1. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    If you have Splash Marans, roo's or pullets around 6-12 weeks old could you please post some pictures of them. I am seriously questioning one of my suppose to be roo's. I will try to get a couple of photo's of my birds later, but for now I was hoping my fabulous fellow BYC'ers could help me out. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Okay I managed to get pic's of my birds. The one in question is the darker one. The white one I know is a roo.... I think the other is too but have my suspicions. Feathers on rear are not the same. combs are similar but the darker one's are a little lighter and smaller. They are the same age 8 weeks!

I am happy either way it goes Roo or Pullet...........it's just driving me crazy not knowing!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    ANYONE?????????

3. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no pics of my splash marans (well when they were just babies yeah but not now).....how sad. [​IMG] But if you could post a pic that would help.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Here is one about four months old... sorry it isn't the right age.
    [​IMG]

5. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Ok......posted some pic's in first post any guesses???

Thanks!

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    The combs & wattles on both chicks look too big for an 8 week old marans pullet - I think they're both roos.

The link below has lots of marans photos - if you scroll almost all the way down, you'll see a photo of 8 week old white marans pullets - above that, there is also a photo of a of 14 week old pair of black marans - cockerel & pullet and one of 3 month old pullets & cockerel. The 14 week & 3 month old pullets have a smaller comb than your 8 week old chicks do. Hope this helps solve your puzzle.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLF&sa=N

7. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree. I think you have 2 roosters there.

8. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably roos, but watch for saddle and hackle feathers. They are beautiful!!!

9. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Thanks! I agree they are beautiful! They are Bev Davis babies!

I have some blue and splash and possibly black chicks coming in 6 weeks. Now the hard part waiting for everyone to get here and grow up and make beautiful babies!

They are very friendly and sooo curious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by