Photographers...question about Canon L lenses

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Chickerdoodle13, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello fellow photographers!

I think I've caught the lens bug once again. It's been a while since I've bought anything camera related, but I've been looking at L lenses. I currently have a Canon 50D and it came with a 28-135mm lens and I bought a 70-300mm lens.

I'm going to the camera store where my uncle works on Saturday to try out some lenses on my camera, but I'm undecided about whether I'd like to go with a macro lens (which is considerably cheaper) or a longer range telephoto lens. I've been looking at the 100-400mm L lens, but there is also a 400mm f5.6 L lens which is about the same price. I would mostly be using the lens for the reach at 400mm to get birds, but I'm thinking the 100-400mm would give me more options. Can anyone give me some good advice about this? The $1700 price tag is a bit daunting, but the more I look at pictures, the more I would like to get a better (and more professional) type of lens.

2. GreenAcresKS

GreenAcresKS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    Central Kansas
    I have had the opportunity to shoot with the 100-400mm f/4-5.6. It's a great lens, obviously! When it comes down to it, there's really no question--go with the one that allows you to change your focal length without having to walk closer or further away from your subject. Especially, as you mentioned, for photographing birds, the ability to get a little more background on your shot without actually having to move will prove more beneficial to you in the long run. If you're just getting into photography, spending $1,700 seems a bit much. Canon has several other incredible L-series lenses available at significantly more affordable prices. If you're sure you love photography and don't mind spending $1,700+tax, go for it. Otherwise, I'd say stick with the 70-300mm and build up your L-series collection with a more modestly priced lens to begin with!

Happy shooting!

3. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm sorry it took me so long to reply! I had typed up a reply a few days ago and BYC lost it while trying to post.

Anyways, I went and tried out some lenses at a photo store. That day I ended up picking up a 50mm f1.8 lens. I'm hoping to get a chance to really try it out today! I also tried out the 100-400mm lens and was glad I tried it before buying because it is just way too heavy to be practical at this point. I do a lot of my shooting while hiking and to carry that thing around would be horrible! Perhaps someday I will look at it again, but for now I have my eye on a 100mm f2.5 canon macro lens. It took gorgeous photos and was only about $600 compared to $1700. I think in a few weeks I am going to purchase one of those.

I also bought some books with tips on exposure (to help remind me because I always have trouble remembering which aperture gives greatest depth of field!) and another book that gives tips for landscape photography. I am busy reading those right now. I also got a new backpack to hold my camera as well as a polarizing filter to play with for my 50mm lens! (That was a mistake because I was supposed to get the protective UV filter, but ended up with the polarizing one.)

4. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Have you looked at the Scott Kelby series?

He shows ways to get more out of your camera/lenses

5. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I haven't looked into him, but I certainly will! I am learning so much from these other little books. It's amazing how much one can learn about a subject, even after being involved with it for so long!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by