1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Photographing at night

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Buff Hooligans, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    My DH put lights on the coop this past weekend. It looks great, and I took a photo to practice photographing it for the Coop Decorating feature on BYC. But doesn't it look like it's on fire?
    [​IMG]

I used the nighttime option on my camera, and leaned the camera on a fence post. But it still looks awful to me. Any suggestions?

2. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    OMG call 911 LOL
    maybe if you get alittle closer ? I am also trying to get good pics of the coop here for chickmas pictures.

try try again LOL

Julie

3. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    it does look like it is on fire. lol but the first thought i had was oohhh how cute is that.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Holy cow, those babies are bright! Looks great to me!

5. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Its adorable! I love how it matches the house. ;-D

6. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    yeah it really does...but besides that great job on the coop....or tell your DH i said great job...

7. Lilychick

Lilychick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2007
    MA
    Oh, I have coop envy. It looks so pretty.

How about trying a tripod, and then use the self-timer on the camera, so there's no camera movement?

(I'm not an expert)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    NASA called. It appears there is a glare on the Space Shuttle's
    window from an Unknown Firey Object.

Very Festive. [​IMG]

9. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure how much adjustability your camera has, but if it was nearly night-time, just take a peek at the sky in your photo-it's quite bright.

I think the shot might be overexposed; try exposing for less time, or at a higher aperture setting. I think that will give you good bulb-separation.

Depending on what kind of camera you have, and the length of your exposure, a fun thing to do is start out on wide angle and zoom in during your exposure; you'll get a really cool streak effect.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I second the tripod idea. Even if you think you are not moving, you are. Also make sure the camera is focused for that distance, click go, and stop breathing while the shutter is open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by