Photography dump. Critiques welcomed. DIAL UP WARNING

Kanchii

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 8, 2007
San Rafael, California
Note: All photographs in black and white were taken by me, film developed by hand by myself, and printed by myself in a darkroom. Loads of fun!

Spring_Chick_by_Kanchii.jpg

Shards_of_My_Childhood.jpg

sandra_1.jpg

ionie_8.jpg

hattie1.jpg

Ionie_1.jpg

sandra5.jpg

darkPark010.jpg

greenhouses051.jpg

petarcade9-24-09004.jpg

petarcade9-24-09017.jpg

Limitless_by_Kanchii.jpg

Couple self portraits, playing with dramatic lighting:
profile.jpg

sarah1.jpg

And a couple photo manips for the heck of it:
Hybrid_by_Kanchii.jpg

Dreamworld.jpg

Cyclone_Colors_by_Kanchii.jpg

Imagination_2_0_by_Kanchii.jpg

This is just me, but the frog photo really doesn't do anything for me. He's cute, but it just looks like someone found a frog, then took a photo.

The toy giraffe and broken glass is nice. I would enter that one into a contest.

As for the self-photos...no eye-liner!!!
big_smile.png
Eye-liner is for night-time wear!
wink.png

Quote:
That was just my favorite frog at the pet store I work at
tongue.png

The Giraffe picture is my personal favorite, too.

As for eye liner, I loooove eye liner. If I could only wear one thing... It'd be eye liner!
lol.png
Jk jk... maybe
hide.gif
wee.gif

I guess I should read the title first.
roll.png
(from a 48 year old woman who turned her mothers garage into a darkroom)

Ok some of the black and whites appear as they were not taken with a camera with high enough MP's. The speed limit sign pic give GREAT contrast, the others appear overexposed. That could have occured with development too. What paper are you using? Chemicals? I took my very first pics (36 years ago) with a homemade camera with a pin hole. Are those pics film or digital?

Last edited:
Quote:
I would absolutely ADORE a critique. I took four years of photography in high school, where we didnt HAVE to develop the film or even the pictures by hand, but I made myself do it for every picture I used in that class. She didn't teach me anything, I learned by experiementing and reading books and just fooling around. She never critiqued me, so I would love you to just totally go all out and be mean mean mean! I'll love it and will definitely put it into use. Only thing I have to say is that the pic of the frog and the macro of the gecko eye were definitely just snap shots. And that the portraits were supposed to be out of focus. I was going for a blurry, nice lighting, dreamy feel.
smile.png

Quote:
I would absolutely ADORE a critique. I took four years of photography in high school, where we didnt HAVE to develop the film or even the pictures by hand, but I made myself do it for every picture I used in that class. She didn't teach me anything, I learned by experiementing and reading books and just fooling around. She never critiqued me, so I would love you to just totally go all out and be mean mean mean! I'll love it and will definitely put it into use. Only thing I have to say is that the pic of the frog and the macro of the gecko eye were definitely just snap shots. And that the portraits were supposed to be out of focus. I was going for a blurry, nice lighting, dreamy feel.
smile.png

See my post above yours. You are not going to get quality dreamy, blurry, effects kind of pics without filters. What kind of camera do you have? Mine is the Canon Rebel xTi SLR 10.2 mp.

Quote:
The black and whites are film that I had to develop by hand (even the film was processed by hand). The paper was anything I could get for cheap. THere's a bunch of scratches and dust since I was a noob and doing it all by hand. The chemicals were probably diluted poop that my teacher just left in the dark room for me for days on end.
Ah, pin hole's are SO FUN! I agree that lots are overexposed, but that's mainly because I enjoy that look, personally. I understand most do not.

Quote:
smile.png

See my post above yours. You are not going to get quality dreamy, blurry, effects kind of pics without filters. What kind of camera do you have? Mine is the Canon Rebel xTi SLR 10.2 mp.

It's not a great camera. It's my Olympus Stylus 10.1 mp. Just dabbled with the colors slightly in photoshop, nothing crazy.

My dear, when developing your own film or digitals, the paper quality is what is MOST important!!!! The colors from the film adhere in the right places with the right paper. I always used Kodak paper no matter what. The rest is crap. Do some more research on filters, even the cheap ones will produce the effect that you want. The things you cannot go cheap on is the camera body and paper. Those are the most important! Lens, filters, chemicals, go cheap. I am a Canon fan myself, but Olympus and Nikon have great cameras too. Canon backs their products to the hilt though and I appreciate that.

Great start!!!!! Overexposure is not what you want - quality contrast is!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom