Photography etiquette at poultry shows?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Scifisarah, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    I am attending my first show and wondered about taking photos. Is it generally okay to take photos of the birds in cages, or is it polite to get the owner's permission? I don't want to step on any toes or embarrass myself...

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    in doubt is always good to be polite

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I personally always ask before I photograph something belonging to someone else. Most people don't mind but some actually do.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Chicken show crasher, eh? [​IMG] Always ask if in doubt and be prepared for a lot of questions. Put on a smile and shake a lot of hands.

5. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I know with horses some people can copyright markings....I don't think that can apply to chickens.
    But I've seen so many people take pictures of the birds at poultry shows (for newspapers also), you'd think it would be okay.

Just don't open the cage. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  6. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    Haha I sure wouldn't be opening any cages. I guess I will ask if I see someone near the cages, and see what other people are doing. I'm planning on showing bantam mottled cochins eventually, so I'd like to take photos of any cochins that do well so I can look for those qualities in my birds. I really have a lousy eye for it so far so I need practice. They all look cute and fluffy to me!

7. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    I have been attending shows for many years and have never heard of anyone being annoyed that someone took a picture of their chicken. People take pics all day long of birds. If the owner is close by you might ask if they would open the cage door to get a better picture, but that is about it. Don't open the cage door on your own.....that will annoy an owner.

Walt

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

:thumbsup

Yes - so many people took pictures. If they are touching the cages in any way, that is when I get annoyed!

9. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    I actually had to yell at my husband a few times. He kept trying to lift up the silkie and polish head fluff to see if there were actually eyes under there and I was like leave their birds alone, geez![​IMG]

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Next time don't bring the husband ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by