Photography

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HorseFeathers, Aug 30, 2008.

1. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I'm getting into photography and I'd like to know some tips, especially for photographing chickens! I have a Sony digital point-and-shoot type, with zoom and everything. I'd like to know about backgrounds etc.
    I know there are many photographers on BYC; I've seen them in Online Poultry Show.

This is one of my best pics so far. I like it because it's a wide frame and is in black and white. I wish they were in a better pose, though.
    [​IMG]

Thank you!

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Try your Macro button. It's for close ups. Works wonders [​IMG] Good luck.

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    What annoys me about my camera is that it doesn't HAVE a close-up feature. My mom's Sony does- pretty much every other camera does. Why me?!
    I've managed to get a few OK close-ups of mushrooms and stuff. I have a great one of a destroying angel. But otherwise my camera utterly fails as a close-upper.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  4. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Hey, you can do a LOT with Sony's little P&S cams. I love mine! And in some situations, it's even better for an amateur like me than my DSLR with all the bells and whistles.

My advice (and seriously, I am an amateur, and not even a very good amateur) would be to get down on their level, and then shoot TONS. I went out to take pictures of the turkeys the other day, and I got a dozen or so shots that I liked well enough to save. However, I TOOK over 300 shots!

Don't be afraid of unconventional angles and lighting and cropping. Years ago, I would've thrown out pictures like the ones below, because the subjects weren't "posed," or because I didn't get their whole body/head in the shot, or the lighting wasn't great. But now I like these kinds of shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also can't take an indoor picture to save my ever-loving life, so it's good that most of what I want to capture is outdoors! Horses, dogs, poultry, and kids. [​IMG]

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

domromer, coffeegirl78, and guitartist are all great photographers!! ask them what they think [​IMG]

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    okay, Ninjapoodles, as if I needed one more reason to like you - those are fabulous pics. That first one, with the sun shining through the turkey's wattles - oh, my. And I cannot even say how sweet that Bella is.

I am embarrassed to admit I have never posted pics here though I do take a lot. Tell me, peeps: Does flicker work or do I have to learn photobucket?

It's obviously time . . .

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Flickr works. That's what I use.

8. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, Flickr works ! That what I use, too. You have to click on "all sizes," then pick what size image you want, and copy the URL from the little box beneath the image (not the HTML code), and paste it here, between the IMG brackets.

Where's your flickrstream?

9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:Awww thanks shmoo [​IMG] I agree with others that one of the most important things is to take a lot of photos. If you have one thing to take a photo of, take 5-10 shots, not just one. Getting down to animal level is also a good one. Learning a bit in Photoshop would help you get some more contrast in your b&w photos. Most of all, take lot of photos, and then weed out the ones you don't like. [​IMG]

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:Yes, Flickr works ! That what I use, too. You have to click on "all sizes," then pick what size image you want, and copy the URL from the little box beneath the image (not the HTML code), and paste it here, between the IMG brackets.

Where's your flickrstream?

I use Flickr too and love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by