(photos) 6 week old chicks pecking Americauna chick until back and butt bleed from feather loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovethejester, Sep 26, 2012.

1. lovethejester

lovethejester Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Norco, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't know what to do here. This little chick is in with 6 others (all the same age) and previously had seemed to be at the top of the pecking order. However now one little cochin seems to have really gone after him/her, and when I went to check them this morning everyone (though mostly the Cochin) was pecking his/her butt and back until it bled. I've pulled the Americauna out for now and put him in with one of the more docile chicks, but I don't know if it will be ok to put him back in with the others? I put some neosporin on the wound - not sure what else to do? I don't really want to keep them segregated. :-/ Any advice would be great!

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Doing what you are doing is the right thing to do. Keep her from them until she fully heals, then you can reintroduce her and see how things go. If more attacks happen, you might want to rehome the aggressor.

3. Micki21965

Micki21965 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Channahon, Illinois
    I agree. I had a similar incedent with my buff brahma cochin being picked on. She is now in my kitchen in a cage until we get her mended and then I will try again. Why can't they all just get along?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by