PHOTOS added, Cuckoo Marans leg colors different...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BikerBabeRules, Jul 16, 2008.

1. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    ....I was shipped cuckoo marans day olds in mid March. Turns out 8 were roos. 5 have pinkish/gray legs and 3 have dark dark yellow legs. Other than that, they look the same. Why would this be, all from the same place. Which would be the real cuckoos or why would the leg color be different?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pinkish gray/white legs are Marans. What kind of comb do the ones with the yellow legs have? Could be Barred Rocks or Dominiques, depending. Could also be a cross of two breeds.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Looks like they have single combs, so I'd guess barred rocks.

4. BikerBabeRules

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    well,,,,I didn't order any barred rocks but if I have a couple, I guess I that's the way it is....thanks. I'll try to take an up-close of their combs and post.

5. speckledhen

I'm looking at that pic now and with the yellow-legged ones, something about the barring on the neck/hackle area seems off for a pure Barred Rock. They almost look like black sexlink roosters. I'd have to see a side full body shot to be sure, though. Can't put into words what I'm talking about, but from raising Barred Rocks for a couple of years now, they just seem off. Could be just the angle of the pic or the lighting or something else, but I'm not 100% sure they're even Barred Rocks at the moment.

6. BikerBabeRules

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    Here you go Speckledhen, is this shot enough to tell what he/they are?
    Thanks much,
    [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Tell me, do you see any off-color feathers in the tail, like greenish feathers? They could be Barred Rocks, but there is an odd look to the hackle barring for being BRs. It's possible that they are Marans crossed with Barred Rocks, which would explain the yellow legs. Could be I'm seeing something that isn't there, but if they develop any sickle feathers that are not barred, like a stray green feather, I'd say they are Black Sexlink roos.

8. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Unfortunately, barred rocks are often crossed into cuckoo marans and this is the result. It is most common in hatchery stock but some private breeders can end up with these tainted lines if they are not careful where they get their birds from.

Richard

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    All of my Barred Rocks have grey legs with black baring in the front. None have yellow legs.

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Those are some really yellow legs! My BRs have a yellow tinge to their legs with black wash down the front, but nothing near to being that yellow!

In the most recent pic, it almost looks like the one with its side facing the camera has some brown on its feathers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by