Photos Disease HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jak2002003, Dec 3, 2014.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    My young chickens have come down with a disease.. I think its coryza.. because 2 have very smelly faces....and the base of the beak is swollen.. so they can't fully close their beaks..... but it also looks like they have fowl pox... can they have the 2 diseases together, or is this something else? In the past my chickens have got fowl pox.. but it was nothing so nasty looking as this!!!

I have started treating with Sulfmet 12.5% in the drinking water. They share the coop with some king pigeons.. is this Sulfmet stuff safe for them too drink too?

On the below photo.. see how swollen the base of the beak is.. and its breath smells bad.
    [​IMG]
    This one has its eye swollen shut.. should I bath it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this last one looks like its just got the fowl pox?
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not an expert, but I think that you are dealing with a bad case of fowl pox. I would look inside the beaks and throats of these birds for any yellow patches that could be blocking the airway. That type is wet pox when it is inside the throat. These chickens need to have their eyes cleaned with saline. Vetericyn eye gel, Terramycin ointment (from a feed store,) or plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic ointment can be applied twice a day to the inside of the eyes and combs. You will really need to watch that these birds are eating and drinking enough, since starving is what can kill birds with pox. They need to be away from other chickens because it can keep spreading within the flock by the mosquitoes or flies. This usually runs it's course over 4-5 weeks, and the birds can feel miserable. Here is some info to read:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox
    http://www.hyline.com/aspx/redbook/redbook.aspx?s=5&p=35
    http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/Fowlpox.pdf
    http://poultrykeeper.com/external-problems/fowl-pox

3. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Thank you for the info.

I have put the ones that are sick in a separate pen.. with chick starter, hard boiled eggs, and the sulphur medicine still in the water.. in case its Coryza.

They seem lively enough and are eating a lot. They are all fat too.. so I hope they will be strong enough to get over this.

All my chickens get fowl pox.. but they only get in one time.. its this young batch that is affected now.. none of the adult birds (as they had it when they were younger a few years back, so I think they have some immunity).

I have never seen it this bad before. Usually they just have spotty scabby combs and wattles.. nothing on their face.. or around their eyes like this time.

I have moved to a new village. so perhaps this area has a stronger fowl pox strain or something.

Poor things.. I do feel sorry for them. But they don't seem to notice it!!! They are breathing normally, eating a lot, lively and not scratching or pecking at them selves. I really hope they will be OK.

I am going to get some extra vitamins.. a friend told me vitamin B12 powder for chickens is good.. so I getting some ASAP.

4. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    UPDATE

The chickens are all dong well... after only 24 hours on the sulphur medicine its really helped most of them. The black chicken with the closed eye can now open the eye fully.. and I did not even have to bath it. I have 4 chickens that are sick... and 2 more that have very mild normal dry fowl pox.

The ill ones are in a cage on their own.. but I am medicating the entire flock and have cleaned everything out.

3 of the 4 sick ones are are improving.. and they are acting normally.. eating a lot etc.

Only one.. the one in the top photo.. seems to be worse. Its the one that has the smelly breath. and I looked in its throat to see it has 'wet pox'.. and yellow pussy spots in its beak and mouth. Its drinking, but gone off food. It seem to have lost weight .. but the swelling on its eyes is slightly better... but the beak is still bad.

How do I go about 'force feeding' it? And what do I feed it with? I am going to start this evening if its still not eating well. Its still holding its tail up, which is always a good sign.. I know when my Japs tails are down they are seriously ill.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Vitamins in general are good for chickens, especially the B vitamins, when they are sick. The one chicken with wet pox may require a lot of extra care. Casportpony has dealt with wet pox before, and you can PM her about possibly removing the yellow patches inside the beak. Crop feeding can be done with the use of a 60 cc syringe along with plastic tubing (such as aquarium tubing that has been melted on one end with a lighter to soften the sharp edges.) Baby bird feed (from pet stores) is commonly used to crop or tube feed chickens since it goes through the tubing easier than chick feed. Here is a good link on crop feeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Casportpony is online today--maybe she will take a look at your thread.

7. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Thanksfor that link.. I am not confident to crop feed it.. as its so small .. only a half grown Jap Bantam. I am afraid to get food into its lungs.

Things have been a bit worse today.. seem to be having a run of bad luck with the birds.

The 3 with dry pox decided to gang up on the wet pox one.. I went out to hear it crying in distress and found the other ones beating it up.. and its had its comb pecked and blood over its face.

I have put it in another cage. Then I noticed that a healthy chicken free ranging has somehow dislocated its hip or something and can't use a leg!!!

So not I have it in another cage.. so many sick birds with different problems.

In he main flock I a currently treating over 10 chickens with vasline for scaly leg.......

Also today, none bird related, the builders broke the main drain from the house with they tractor.. so have to sort that out too. Bad day for me and the chickens. [​IMG]

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One can tube feed three day old chicks, so tubing a young Japanese Bantam can be done quite easily. How easily can you get medical supplies for people in Thailand? One needs a rubber uninary catheter like this:
    [​IMG]
    More pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

9. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Thanks for that photos. Thankfully I tempted the chickens to eat... it really likes boiled eggs yolks! I have cleaned the inside of its beak too, which \I think helps.

I had a pack of 5 large dogs attack my chicken coop last night and try to get in.. Woke at 4am to the sound of screeching chickens.

I a feeling very down about my birds.. All I need now is a tree to fall on the coop...

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sory for all of the problems you are experiencing with your chickens, predators, and the drain damage. Hopefully, things will start to improve for you very soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by