photos from my incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greyfields, Mar 5, 2008.

1. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
  2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    What do you think of those plastic egg trays for large eggs like duck and goose? I found with mine the eggs didn't fit them well.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I bought a goose egg turner for that batch of eggs I got. I am really glad I did too.

I candled them tonight.

8 with good veins. 3 clear. 1 with a blackish blob like maybe it was devloping when it was gathered and sent to me. [​IMG]

So far. So good.

I am on day 7.

How far along are your goose eggs?

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The goose eggs don't fit well in the alleged "goose & duck" tray so they only work on the top shelf. That's why on the lower 2 shelves I used those disposable ones cut in half. That works fine. I was looking at the GQF and they show just laying the goose eggs directly on the rack with squidgy spacers between the eggs (and they want like $30 for them). The duck eggs fit fine in the larger trays.

I am putting a clutch in every Sunday until they run out. So the first batch is due 3/16, then 3/32, then 3/30, etc. The oddball will be the chickens which will go into the hatching tray a week earlier than the duck/goose eggs.

I have amazingly had only one duck egg not be fertile (the infamous exploding egg). Out of the first clutch about half were not fertile after 2 weeks. The 2nd and 3rd clutch are doing much better. I also find I cannot clearly candle the goose eggs until a good 14 days in. The shells are just too thick. The duck eggs, though, I could tell at 5 and 7 days easily they were fertile.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Look up the universal trays for the Ova easy 380. They are adjustable and only 10.00 each. Glad to hear I am not the only one who found the duck/goose trays to be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by