1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PHOTOS of babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arwmommy, May 9, 2007.

1. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Hello again, fellow chicken addicts!!

Trying to figure out who is who, and thought you would appreciate more photos anyway! [​IMG]

As a reminder, we have 8 bantam female chicks (we ordered 7 and it seriously took me a few hours to realize they had shipped an extra-duh!)

3 Brahmas (Light, Dark, Buff)
    3 Cochins (Black, Barred, Mottled)
    2 Ameraucanas (easy to figure out, as the only clean legged ones!)

Here are our best guesses as to who is who, feel free to voice an opinion!

#1- Buff Brahma??
    [​IMG]

#2- Buff Brahma??- can't tell in this photo, but she has light blonde yellow down in front on chest
    [​IMG]

#3-
    [​IMG]

#4- Ameraucana (yeah! I can figure out one! [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

#5-
    [​IMG]

#6-
    [​IMG]

#7- Ameraucana
    [​IMG]

#8-
    [​IMG]

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I can tell you that the first is indeed a Buff Brahma, but don't know the rest. Very cute babies, though.

3. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Hmm, I'm just as confused as you are as to which is which. But thy are very cute anyway!!

4. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    By the way, who did you order your chicks from?

5. arwmommy

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    I am VERY proud to say that after extensive research, we ordered through www.mypetchicken.com

We did this for a variety of reasons:

1. The customer service was OUTSTANDING! I even (before even ordering!) emailed Traci with a link to a huge custom rabbit hutch I was considering purchasing to ask her if she thought it would be suitable, and she guided me through that! In addition, I found out a few days before the chicks were to be shipped that my sister had a baby that required open heart surgery. I had to go out of town to help her (my own son has had 2 open heart surgeries) and Traci was so understanding, and was happy to rescedule them for a few weeks away, when I would be back, and has even asked about the baby whenever I have had any future contact with her. SHE IS AWESOME! [​IMG]

2. We wanted Bantams, but only females (we are relatively urban, so cannot have roos at ALL). They are the only company in the country that will sex bantams for you.

3. I wanted just one of each of 7 bantam breeds, and was able to get that from them.

4. We wanted only a few chicks, and could never be able to cull. For heaven's sake, our dwarf russian hamster had leg surgery last year!!! I could never cull a perfectly healthy animal, or eat an animal that I had raised from a baby. ( I would love to only eat homegrown chicken though, just could never eat an animal that was mine!)

5. I was unwilling to tolerate deaths due to poor quality shipping practices (horror stories abound on this board) and only wanted to deal with a company that shipped overnight and with a heater. Even though it was a bit pricy ($120 for 7 chicks (they shipped 8 though)), it was TOTALLY WORTH IT. They came in a box lined with a straw nest, and under the nest was a heating pad, that is actually still warm (they were shipped Monday early morning, and it is now Wednesday afternoon). We got them Tuesday morning, they were peeping like crazy and in PERFECT health.

I absolutly recommend them without any hesitation, and will be happy to do buisness with them again-- in fact, they are the only ones I will do buisness with!

6. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Ok these are my guesses, i'll probably be wrong but this is a good start.

1 - Buff Brahma
    2 - buff Brhama
    3 - black or barred cochin (can tell till the feathers come in)
    4 - Ameraucana
    5 - mottled cochin
    6 - possibly another cochin
    7 - Ameraucana
    8 - black or barred cochin

7. arwmommy

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    OK, after POURING over the feathersite index, this is what I think we have:

1- Buff Brahma
    2- Dark Brahma
    3- Black Cochin
    4- Ameracuana
    5- Light Brahma
    6- Barred Cochin
    7- Ameracuana
    8- Mottled Cochin

----whew!!------ Well, we won't know for sure until they get their feathers in (especially the barred/mottled cochins) but we think we are close!

We would still be way open to opinions though!!

8. The Harvest Moon Chicken

The Harvest Moon Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    Southern California
    the fisrt is definetly a buff braham, i saw it and thought it was my little brahma, i got really confused there for a second.........

9. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Here is what I think you have.....
    1. Buff Brahma
    2. Partridge Cochin
    3. Barred Cochin
    4. Ameraucana
    5. Mottle Cochin/Black Cochin
    6. Black Cochin
    7. Ameraucana
    8. Light Brahma

Im pretty confident in my answers. Awesome chickys!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    They are so cute. I have new bantam babies also. Maybe 2 Ameraucana's from your replies about yours. They were a mystery to me. So, so cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by