1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

photos of crusted speckled comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Triplets, Aug 9, 2014.

1. The Triplets

The Triplets Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    can anyone tell me what is going on here? I have 3 pullets and my Cochin is the only one with a big comb and wattle. I noticed her comb bleeding one day and she has little scabby areas (I presume). I don't see any mites. We are in a hot dry climate. she seems absolutely fine otherwise. I am new to chicken keeping and these are my pets. Thanks for any help.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Peck marks are usually jet black. She may have a little case of favus, a fungal infection. Apply some miconazole cream or lotrimin daily. Just about any antifungal cream will work.

3. The Triplets

The Triplets Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    Thank you. the first thing that appeared was a drop of fresh blood. I though it was a bug bite or that she nicked it on a branch. then over time more scabs... Do you still think that is fungal? I can't imagine where she could have contracted it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by