Photos of eggs by breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by calee, May 23, 2008.

1. calee

calee Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Upstate, SC
    Is there a source anywhere that has eggs from all different breeds (including standard & bantam sizes of breeds) of chicken so that you can see the color & size variations? Something fairly standard so that you can compare them more easily would be wonderful!

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Calee, I notice you want to know where you can get chickens of different breeds here in SC. Have you looked in our state ag paper, The Market Bulletin?

I have no idea where to look for eggs of different shapes or colors except maybe on the Henderson Chicken breed chart, a good reference website.

3. calee

calee Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Upstate, SC
    No! I didn't know there was an ag paper. [​IMG] Thank you, thank you!

I've seen the Henderson chart, but wanted photos so that I could see the eggs (especially since the US & British sites have different ideas about describing egg color).

I did find this photo on Cackle Hatchery's website: http://www.cacklehatchery.com/egg_comparison_22.jpg, but it only has a few eggs.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yeah, it would be nice to know what each of the eggs look like. Kinda like they show in the wild bird books.
    I have found some personal websites that show eggs and different colors but they are few and far between and it takes a lot of researching on the Internet.[​IMG]

That's how I found out I wanted Barnevelders. Great, just got in 70 chicks with Welsummers due next week and now decide I want Barnevelders, too! [​IMG]
    I will be scouring the Market Bulletin looking for local decent birds myself!
    Good luck.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by