Photos of Everyone *Pic heavy*

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Mar 17, 2012.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    This is for all of you who have been wanting me to get out and take some more photos. [​IMG]

Today I wasn't expecting to be any different from the other days I open up the peachick pen and let all the birds mingle. Most of the time Ice ends up scaring the whites so much that they hide in their pen. With all the good weather the large pen is getting some tender grass shooting up and the whites couldn't resist walking just a foot out of their pen to peck at it. Their pen is all dirt...Another reason my dad needs to hurry up and get started on a new pen. [​IMG] So Ice being the boss she is walked into their pen and scared all of them out.
    Here she is in action:
    [​IMG]

Peep was already out of the pen. He has learned about Ice very quickly and now knows not to fly into the netting, how to avoid Ice, and it is ALWAYS a good idea to fly up on a perch to escape Ice. Normally she won't pursue you that far. Peep has to get his attention from me and that is the main reason he probably even enters the large pen just to follow me.
    [​IMG]

I'm not choking him in this picture...My mom was joking around and said I was choking him in the photo.
    [​IMG]

Peep stays very close to me most of the time. He comes to me for protection from the adults. Alto then gets curious and they both walk circles around me as Peep tries to get away from a curious Alto.
    [​IMG]

After a while Peep did his own thing. I was proud of him! He actually wandered around and ate some food and explored without me right by his side.
    [​IMG]

He tried out one of the perches.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like birds because they notice a lot of things that other animals might not notice. I also notice details and things so it is kind of cool to be distracted by something and notice the peafowl are looking at the same thing you are with the same amount of curiosity! Well when Peep was on the perch a bumble bee flew up. Those darn bees are drilling holes in the perches. Anyways I was looking at the bee and so was Peep. I tried to get a photo of it and I figured I hadn't until later when I looked at my photos and zoomed in on one I saw the bee. I cropped it so you can see the bee better. Peep's face is priceless!
    [​IMG]

After a while Peep flew down. He always looks for me when he flies down and he always flies down to me so he landed at my feet after I took this photo. I love it when they fly it is too bad they don't do it more often. Damsel down below with the white peas.
    [​IMG]

In the meantime a cardinal pair was visiting the peachick pen. A bunch of cardinals visit the peafowl pens and scratch around for seed.
    [​IMG]

Then of course there is always at least one squirrel in the pen also. They are getting bolder and bolder these days. They don't run whenever they see me anymore but they stare at me making sure I am not about to eat them. This one has turned the food bowl sideways using it as a "shield".
    [​IMG]

The whites never get off as easy as Peep does. Ice got in a few kicks before she left them alone. Damsel just stood and watched.
    [​IMG]

Damsel never really jumps on the whites she just watches them.
    [​IMG]

Here is Ice ambushing the whites. She likes to make them scatter. The bad part is here peachicks watch the whole thing. They already kick the whites any chance they get. It doesn't help that I want to breed some of the whites to some of Ice's chicks.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After all of this treatment, one of the whites was pacing the door to their pen wanting to go back inside the safety of the peachick pen. At first I didn't open the door but after a while the white was so distressed it started honking so I opened the door. It didn't go in the pen but I think they just like knowing that if they want to go back to their pen they can.
    [​IMG]

The whites started taking flight to get away from Ice. Alto flew up after one of the whites as if to protect it. This isn't the first time Alto has done this.
    [​IMG]

When Alto left another white joined the one already on the perch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whites flew around...
    [​IMG]

Eventually they settled in and started pecking at the grass. I am starting to think these whites are spalding whites. They still have tight crests that haven't fanned out much and some of them are getting some yellow on their cheeks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is Fiona, Ice's dark pied peachick. I like her little white patches.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I have to take photos of Alto! He was doing some displaying and he did a fake run at one of Ice's chicks. He sorta lurched forward but didn't call.
    [​IMG]

I really like the scales birds have on their legs. It looks like metal armor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Displaying is tiring!
    [​IMG]

Now for the group photo! All 10 of my peas in the same pen...I guess this would be a bevy...Or a party...Or maybe a muster?
    [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Lovely pictures!!

3. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    love the pics you always take really cool ones of peep he is always looking so curious.

4. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Thanks for posting pictures of your whole gang! They are so beautiful.
    Your large pen looks really nice and roomy. Are you going to build a whole new pen or add onto the ones that you have?

I don't have any experience with whites, but I wonder if they get picked on because other peas instinctively know that they are a draw for predators (due to their high visibility)?

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Thanks Little blue!
    We are probably going to build a new pen next to the large one. I am probably going to put all the peachicks in the new pen. Ice's peachicks are great being that they are all hens and it seems Peep and the whites are just about all boys (one of the whites might be a girl) so they will probably be a good breeding group. The dark pieds bred to the whites will get me the pieds I really want. Of course it will be a while before the peachicks can breed.

I think they get picked on just because they are younger and they are new birds. When I first got Damsel Ice picked on her a lot but eventually they all settled in. They are just trying to establish a pecking order and peahens tend to be a little mean to younger peafowl anyways it seems. When Alto was a yearling Ice picked on him a lot but now that he is an adult he doesn't have to worry about her after he chased her around and let her know he was now the boss.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by