Photos of moving the Flying Fortress Tractor 3 miles

squadleader

Songster
Dec 23, 2017
Richmond, VA
Thought y'all might enjoy this. Moving the Fortress back to my house where the pasture is better. Roped up the 50" wide anti-Dig Mats, was easier than I thought it was going to be. Had the Roll Back take off his side rails. His whole bed is 96" wide, the frame of the tractor is also 96" wide, sitting on a 2x8 skid, so with him removing his rails, it worked alright.

All things considered, I thought the cost of the roll back wrecker was pretty reasonable at $125.

2018-01-20 20.55.16.jpg

Here's a look at the frame being constructed. 2 inch by 6 inch full dimension frame (salt treated and not planed down like most bought wood). A triangle is the strongest shape in building, so the 7 foot scaffold braces form a triangle in each corner. A set on the top and bottom of the frame. The top one is covered in pvc pipe, then wrapped in Gorilla Tape. Because of all this, the frame is amazingly rigid, one corner can be unsupported, and it won't even sag.

2018-01-20 20.47.20.jpg

The tractor arriving at its new home. The front mats were the problem, since they extend out, but it worked out OK just bending them up and tying them off.

2018-01-20 20.53.16.jpg

You can see the tractor isn't over width.

2018-01-20 20.52.46.jpg

The cinder blocks are added to the corners of the mat, once it's placed.

2018-01-20 20.51.23.jpg

You can see the 60 mil pvc plastic that wraps the skids on either side of the tractor. That helps a lot with sideway pulls when needed.

2018-01-20 20.52.07.jpg

I kept the door open during the move to relieve air pressure in the tractor. You can kind of see where I tied off all the hanging items in the tractor to keep them from swinging too much.

2018-01-20 20.49.21.jpg

You can see the strength of the frame here. He's actually balancing the entire tractor on a single point. The tractor is pretty heavy too, between 2,000 and 3,000 pounds at least.

2018-01-20 20.50.36.jpg

Sliding it off.

2018-01-20 20.48.53.jpg

Move complete!

2018-01-20 20.48.29.jpg

I've just let the anti-dig mats back down. I was pleased with how little bend was in them. Two cinderblocks on each corner took care of that.

2018-01-20 20.54.28.jpg

Normally I use a 7.5 gallon bucket with horizontal chicken nipples for water, that's good for over a week, but we've had crazy low temperatures and had to resort to the backup water system. A black Home Depot masonry tub 18"x24", sitting in the sun on the south end of the tractor. That usually only has to be filled once a day in the morning even with temperatures in the teens.

2018-01-20 20.53.59.jpg

The backup water tub and about eight of our thirteen chickens huddled up in the 2'x3' larger Home Depot masonry tub that's their hanging dust box.

2018-01-20 20.39.06.jpg

The chickens enjoying warm water at the backup water tub.

2018-01-20 20.44.52.jpg

This tub feeder is great. Eight feeding stations, zero feed on the floor, and holds over 100 pounds of feed, so I usually only have to put feed in once a month.

2018-01-20 20.38.47.jpg

Temperatures have finally gotten warmer and I've put the 7.5 gallon bucket with the chickens nipples back in the tractor.

2018-01-20 20.38.27.jpg

Once a week I drag the tractor over one space, eight feet if sideways, which is most of the time, or 16 feet if coming forward. I have bolts on all four corners, so I can pull it forward like in this photo, or by moving the chain to connect along the side of the tractor, I can pull it sideways.

2018-01-20 20.37.50.jpg

Boy they love cover and we have lots of hawks, so I park the utility trailer near the tractor. They free range all day. Mostly they've been coming over to the house and enjoying under the porches and decks, along with the yard.

2018-01-18 18.39.53.jpg

I ran a five quarter by 6 inch deck board down the left side as a roosting bar 30 inches off the ground. I read mice can bother their toes while sleeping, so that allows them to rest their whole body over their claws.

2018-01-20 20.36.45.jpg

In this photo you see how the entire tractor is flooded with sunlight. By having the entire south side open, and 24 inches all around the tractor open (covered in clear plastic roofing during the winter), as far as the chickens are concerned, all they see in any direction, other than north where the plywood wall is, is daylight. With twelve hens were getting nine eggs a day in the dead of winter, perhaps it's the amount of light in the tractor.
2018-01-20 20.47.54.jpg

When we got down to minus 5 degrees last week, I wanted to give the chickens something to stand on besides the frozen ground. I filled one of the corners with a half a bale of straw, worked well. It even stayed put when I dragged the tractor today.

Last edited:
Nice tractor coop! I like the thought you've put into keeping the interior furnishings ready to be dragged by hanging it all up.

Just a note of caution in case you haven't heard this. Lots of roosters can't use that type of feeder due to scraping their combs and wattles, some have actually starved to death.

Thanks!
I hadn't heard there could be a problem with that, but I did use 3 inch elbows (pretty big), and someone could always use 4 inch elbows if they were concerned about that issue. Our rooster seems pretty big, and has been using the feeder since August, so it hasn't been any issue at all for him.

From a practical standpoint, I've never seen a feeder that offers all the benefits it has. Clear plastic, so I can see my feed level. 8 stations, so almost everyone can feed at once, and that gives a picked on chicken more of a chance (we have one). Holding over a hundred pounds of feed is a great feature too, once a month loading. Hanging off the floor also keeps mice from getting at the feed. The water only needs a once a week fill, and I'm putting a Pullet Door Automatic Door next week, so if we wanted to go out of town, it'll be a breeze for my neighbor to just look in on them and collect the eggs.

That's another thing I found on this forum, the roll out nesting box. I got mine from HenGear.com, but you can build one yourself if you want. Up to 20 hens use just one box 24 inches wide (I've got 12 using it). The eggs are so clean, no straw to mess with, and no egg eating. Here's a couple of photos of mine.

I knew nothing about chickens last May when my son got interested in chickens. I learned everything I know about the subject from the fine folks on this forum, they've been a tremendous resource!
2017-12-27 07.22.28.jpg
2017-12-27 07.20.08.jpg
NB4 20180106_095254.jpg
NB5 20180106_100327.jpg
20171226_133335.jpg

I think those feeders are so cool! And I'm sure they are fine most of the time, just something to watch for. I've considered making one to allow the hens only access to layer feed. But too many roos eat from them comfortably.

So many good ideas well executed!

Thanks!
I hadn't heard there could be a problem with that, but I did use 3 inch elbows (pretty big), and someone could always use 4 inch elbows if they were concerned about that issue. Our rooster seems pretty big, and has been using the feeder since August, so it hasn't been any issue at all for him.

From a practical standpoint, I've never seen a feeder that offers all the benefits it has. Clear plastic, so I can see my feed level. 8 stations, so almost everyone can feed at once, and that gives a picked on chicken more of a chance (we have one). Holding over a hundred pounds of feed is a great feature too, once a month loading. Hanging off the floor also keeps mice from getting at the feed. The water only needs a once a week fill, and I'm putting a Pullet Door Automatic Door next week, so if we wanted to go out of town, it'll be a breeze for my neighbor to just look in on them and collect the eggs.

That's another thing I found on this forum, the roll out nesting box. I got mine from HenGear.com, but you can build one yourself if you want. Up to 20 hens use just one box 24 inches wide (I've got 12 using it). The eggs are so clean, no straw to mess with, and no egg eating. Here's a couple of photos of mine.

I knew nothing about chickens last May when my son got interested in chickens. I learned everything I know about the subject from the fine folks on this forum, they've been a tremendous resource!
View attachment 1243503 View attachment 1243504 View attachment 1243506 View attachment 1243507 View attachment 1243509
I really like your tractor. Your chickens like what you have in their dust bath. May I ask what it is? I've been putting 2 to 1 wood ash/sand and mine thumb their noses at it & go dig a hole in their run area.
Also, do you have a large guardian dog for when they free range outside the tractor? how large is your flock?
Thanks for sharing!

My guys like their dust bath. It's a blend of peat moss, sand, and pine horse bedding pellets. Not sure if the resulting sawdust from the pellets does much but it did dry up the damp sand and peat. There's always at least 2 or 3 in there all day long.

Probably 40-40-10. Peat-sand-pellets. No my math isn't off! The pellets easily doubled in volume after soaking up the wet. There's been a few shovel scoops of dirt thrown in there also for entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom