Photos of the new duck house - question need answering.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jessica89, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Jessica89

Jessica89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Hello everyone!
    I have just had a bigger duck house because their coops were too small!
    I cant wait to put them to bed in their new home tonight!
    Only question is..

Wire mesh is used above the floor.. will it be too hard on the ducks feet?

Thanks
    Jess

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: You can see the wire mesh on the third photo.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Looks awesome! I would put flooring ontop of the wire. I think it is hard on their feet and I would be scared of bumble foot. You could to plywood, laminate flooring or even horse stall mats. I used plywood and painted it with leftover textures deck paint. It has held up great and they don't slip on it.

3. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Thank you!
    I will have a look.. We could remove the wire but there a bit of a drop to the floor then.
    Thats what I thought.. I wouldnt like to walk on that wire.

They are living in luxury now! I wont feel guilty about putting them to bed at night.
    Haha
    :D

4. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    What about just putting in on top of the wire? Oh, I know what you mean. I can't wait for mine to go out! It was cute and fun for the first few days and now they stink!

5. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    I think I will look for some rubber mats tomorrow to put on top. Im sure they will be ok for one night do you think?

I hate winter! I felt so bad locking them up in small coops for 17 hours.. it goes dark about 4:30pm. Roll on Summer :D

6. patolocoeggs

patolocoeggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Lake Orion, MI
    Hello, my husband and I built a new larger duck house this year right before winter. For the flooring we used treated plywood that we painted. Then we added 3/4" thick horse stall mats on top of the plywood. With a good layer of straw on top of the mats, our ducks are very comfortable. I'm afraid the wire will hurt the ducks feet and would hate for that to happen. Good luck and your new duck house, it looks wonderful :)

7. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Thank you for the replies!
    I would hate for that to happen too..
    We are going to sort it out tomorrow..
    I will let you know how it goes :)

8. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I'm sure there will be fine for a day or two but I would try to fix it up as soon as you can. Y'all have a great house for them!

9. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Nice house! I would def put something over the floor, like others have said stallmats or even laminate/vinyl. You can get small rolls of it for $20 at hardware stores. Both would be easy to pull out and hose off which would be perfect!

10. Richb353

Richb353 Chillin' With My Peeps

I used a 1/2' nylon mesh across the bottom of my first duck house. Easy on the little duckling feet, but as they got bigger the turds would not fall through as I had planned. A garden hose with decent pressure would push them through, but still not efficient. I removed the nylon mesh and put wheels on one end. It sits flush on the ground and I roll it like a wheelbarrow to a new patch of grass each week. So far no predators have tried to dig underneath...yet.

Good Luck,
    Rich

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by