1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Photoshoot with chickens -- need advice!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Uzuri, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So my girls are going to be models [​IMG] I work in PR for a college, and our office puts out the alumni magazine. My (young*) ladies are going to work with me on Monday to be photographed for the magazine. I have special permission to buzz in for the photoshoot and buzz right back out, so the whole shebang shouldn't take more than two hours from being dropped in the crate to returning to the run**.

So, does anyone have any advice for me? I don't believe they'll need a full bath (famous last words), but their feet could do to be washed, and I might need to do some spot-cleaning. Any suggestions for spot-cleaning? We're talking buff hens and brown hens, so thankfully I'm not dealing with white. They'll be wearing their pinless peepers for the trip to avoid picking in the crate, and I'll be sure that they have a layer of good clean straw under them to try to keep them clean on the drive as well. Any suggestions for a travel emergency kit? Lots of paper towels, I'm sure. A crock to water them when we get there and right before we leave. A small packet of feed to try to encourage them to do what the art director wants (THAT ought to be interesting). Anything else I'm forgetting?

*the old hags are going through molt. The only spot they're fit to be photographed for is a centerfold -- naked chicks.

**assuming no escapees.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wouldn't worry much about cleaning; I sure wouldn't try a shampoo. Not unless they and you are already accustomed to doing this. You can wipe off their feet, or walk them through some shallow water -- or even let them go au natural.

For two hours, I'd take scratch or some other favorite treat, not regular feed. They deserve it!

3. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    I find my chickens do well with the camera.. I always make noises I make to call my kitty.. and the chickens react.. and usually freeze in their movements as the noise im making is strange to them.

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Ha, hadn't thought of bringing them a treat. If we have beef scraps this week, I'll make sure to bring with. Nothing makes them happier [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by