Phyliss Diller

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stephan222, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Stephan222

Stephan222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    One of my hens went bald from her ears to her beak . I thought it was a start of a molt but her feathers never grew back . She looks like a vulture now . The feather lose happened 3 months ago and that was that any ideas ???? None of my other girls have suffered the same . She is still a strong layer healthy and happy !

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Oh interesting .. I have three hens (sisters from the same hatch) that have done this. They are just now trying to grow feathers back after months. At first I thought it was the rooster pulling their feathers out when he breeds .. but he breeds everyone .. they are a "looser" feathered bird .. ??? I don't know. I don't there are 20 other birds living int he same coop without this 'issue' .. ??

Interested to see what others say..

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Lice and mites first..Boredom amongst the gang next--feather pickers...lacking protein in their diets-they will pluck and eat others feathers!!

4. Stephan222

Stephan222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    The chickens have a very balance pretty text book they free range no visible paracites - a very harmonious group of chickens - none of the other birds have this going on she looks like a vulture !

5. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    That happened to my Cochin hen this spring. Red vulture head. And they are not in with a rooster, and I have not noticed any pecking. I noticed just this AM that she is finally growing back her feathers. Whatever caused the feather loss, it will take a while (feathers grow in cycles) till they start to regrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by