1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Phyllis: today's symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flyballgirl, Nov 14, 2013.

1. flyballgirl

flyballgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Our cute Polish, Phyllis, has stopped walking/running around in her enclosure. She just sits most of the time and gets up just to eat or drink. She eats and drinks plenty as far as I can tell. Her wings look ok to me but her tail feathers are all messed up - going in all different directions. She looks like she's too heavy for her feet to hold up and is back heavy as well. She sometimes falls down but gets right back up. She has watery poop but it looks ok from looking at some other pages on that topic. I have vitamins in her water and have been giving her extra greens (grass, veggies). I've noticed that people have recommended probiotics for various ailments and wonder if there would be a benefit to giving this to her. I thought she might have worms but we don't see any in the poop. She is about 2-3 months old. Thanks!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Probiotics are always good for chickens a few times a week. Did your pullet have a Mareks vaccine? Is she all alone? Being heavy is very hard on chickens, and it causes a risk in fatty liver syndrome which can kill them early. Is she on a balanced grower feed? Is she alert or lethargic?

3. flyballgirl

flyballgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    No to the vaccine.
    She has a friend, a bantam frizzle who has no symptoms of anything. We think the frizzle might be a male as the tail feathers are very long and stick up but it loves the Polish and chirps like there is no tomorrow when we separate them.
    One of them did have blood in the poop a few weeks ago and I treated with Cocid liquid.
    She is on chick starter/grower and vitamins in the water.
    Mostly pretty alert.
    They are in a small enclosure but I take them outside daily and my daughter lets them run around several times a day.
    Thank you :)

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I was re-reading your recent posts, and see that you have been treating for coccidiosis. Probiotics and vitamins are very necessary after Corid treatment to restore the gut bacteria as well as the vitamins lost. There are other neurological problems besides Mareks (such as vitamin deficiencies, botulism, sometimes aspergillosis, and others.) Hopefully it isn't Mareks. I would particularly give her vitamins every single day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by