1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pic Added! Caught The Pooch

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by taraann81, Nov 10, 2010.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    The last few days driving back and forth to work I've noticed a half grown shepherdy dog hanging out in a field in the same general area, fairly close to a house. This morning, driving DH to work, I spotted it eating road kill at the side of the road..Gross to say the least. I dropped DH off.

Passing the poor dogs general area on the way back, he darted out infront of the car in front of me..they just missed him, I had to slam on my breaks(safely mind you).

I am already angry at seeing this poor dog scavenging road kill and being loose so close to a fairly busy road, now it just misses getting hit by two cars and could have caused an accident.

Being braver than wise I pulled into this strangers drive way, marched up to the door and pounded on it(before 0800 in the morning).

I, with as much restraint as I could muster, informed them of what had just happened and to please control their dog before it is hurt/killed, or causes an accident.

They went on to tell me it was not their dog. It had showed up one day last week and had been getting into their garbadge and, like i had seen, scavenging road kill.

The only logical response.,,"so, you don't mind if I catch him and take him?".
    They laugh and say good luck.

I tromp out to the field(in my pjs and flip flops, was planning on coming right home).

The poor pooch, is obviously terrified. I can't get with in 25 feet of it. Its like it has this invisible "safe" space around it thats its not comfortable if I breach. When I get too close it runs off a ways, lays on its belly, ears back, with a pathetic whimpery whine. It looks like its begging me to help it but just can't trust.

I try this for over an hr, I even resort to my tried and true, lay down on my stomach (in my pjs, in the muddy freshly plowed field) and let the pup approach me. It slinks closer that way but remains too far away.

I left, it ran and sat in the middle of the field as I drove away...

Fortunately for that pup, I am very stubborn.

I am here grabbing a leash, treats and my old gal Mabel(bullmastiif), who is very motherly and pups seem to find irresitable. I am hoping her presence will put the pup at ease(I know its a long shot and I shouldn't technically expose Mabel to an unknow stray but I'll take my chances)

Wish me luck.

If I do catch him, I'll post a found ad and contact local shelters and vets. If no claimers I'll have to find it a home. We can't have another dog [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Have you tried dogfood and/or treats? It may take a few days, but if you gently toss a treat in it's direction, without making eye contact, and leave fresh water, it may start to associate your presence with good things. Good luck, and good on ya for trying!

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Bacon. Not even dogs can resist the smell of bacon. [​IMG]

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Can you find a rescue who would help you trap it so you can keep it?

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Or help trap it so they can find a home for it? Sorry, just read to the bottom of your post

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Racoon/fox cage trap.

7. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Well I got it. Ran right for Mabel. I had to walk home(luckily not too far) as i was too nervous to grab him and lift him into the jeep, I'm not sure if he would bite as he was nervous of me and unknown hands grabbing out can't be a pleasant experience.

So he followed mabel and I all the way home and is now locked in my bathroom.

***Good news*** he is wearing a collar! No tags, but at least he was owned at some point!

He is very sweet now taht he is here. Whines and drags himself on his tummy up to me when I enter the bathroom.. He is small. has really bizarre hair. Short cream colored hair with really long black gaurd hairs. He looks ridiculous.

Off to get the jeep, then a bath, then pics.

Mabel saves the day again! She is the best dog I've ever owned!

8. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I'm glad you caught him! Now when you get back do not forget to take some pics! [​IMG]

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Glad it had a collar for a minute there I thought you might be chasing a coyote. It has happened BTW. I've forgotten who the actress was but she told the story on one of the late night shows of how she saw this poor dog in traffic and managed to corral the thing in the back of her car. Got it to a vet only to find it was a coyote.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by