Pic added of goo! My eggs are hatching! Some help please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fox, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have Silkie and Ameraucana eggs in the incubator. Last night, Day 20, an Ameraucana hatched out. It hatched sometime after we left for church at 6:30 PM and returned around 8:45 PM. We had not noticed any pips before this time! It appeared as though it had just hatched, laying there, listless for awhile, heart pounding away and breathing fast. It also looked like the back end of it was covered in goo. There looked like there was a small glob of "egg white" in the shell. I have never seen this before, but I figured it is the same stuff on the chick. I thought it might dry and flake off some, but it's still plastered to it. I am worried that it is covering the vent hole and might prevent the chick from being able to go poo. Do I open the bator and get that one out, and wash it off and put it back in or do I just leave it alone?

I have another Ameraucana egg pipped, one with an open hole trying to zip (has been like this since 5:30 AM) and what looks like 4 Silkie eggs pipping. Some of the pips are on the side and under side though and I don't know if that is a good or bad thing! I don't want to ruin the hatch by opening if I should not, nor do I want the other chick to suffer because I did not wash it off. It seems to be not as perky as the second chick that hatched without the goo. So I wondered if it was in some way effected by being plastered over the tail end with the stuff. Humidity right now is about 67%, the temp right around 100. Any thoughts on what I should or should not do? I know the general rule is to never open the incubator... I just don't know if this would be an exception or not, and if so, if I put a wet sponge in there if that would compensate. I would love to hear your advice and will check back in soon!

Here is the picture of the chick that has the behind slicked down. It's been about 24 hours now since it hatched. You can see a bit of what is plastered on it. What I need to know is do I need to do anything tonight. We still have eggs not hatched out. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Just realized I could edit my post so I am removing my earlier post....

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    In my opinion, leave it in. It takes hours for them to dry. THe thing is, the humidity and temperature need to be CONSISTENT at hatch time. People often think that it's okay to open the bator, since the temp/humidity goes back up quickly. But, to get the very best hatch, T/H need to be CONSISTENT through the hatch. Opening the bator could be detrimental to the rest of the eggs. Leave him be...he'll probably be just fine! And - BEST of luck for the rest of them!

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The goo is perfectly normal when they first hatch. They'll clean themselves up as they fluff up in there. Do not open the bator until the hatch is complete. [​IMG] Good luck with your hatch!

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Do not open the incubator!!!!! You will lose much needed humidity!!! Good luck with the rest of the hatch and keep us posted!!!!

6. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Definately let the chick be. It sounds like the umbilical is just hanging. It should dry up and fall off. With so many eggs pipping in there you could vacuum seal them right in their shells. I would NOT open the bator. I have had some hatch with things hanging and it did dry up and fall off. Washing the chick off right now would be too much of a shock to it. I say keep watching it and wait. It sounds likde your humidity and temp are awesome and you sure don't want to mess it up. Be patient on the ones pipping and zipping. It sometimes takes 24 hours or so for them to zip after pipping their first hole. Sit on your hands! [​IMG] Give it time.

7. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Glad I joined this group I would have ruined my whole hatch if this happen to me....please disregard my first post...

8. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    The one with the hole in it hatched... it looks like it has a bit of that dried up yolk sack on it's rear end too, but unlike the other one. The other one was hatched last night. It is fluffing up everywhere, but his tail end that looks slicked almost slimed down. The little dried up yolk thing seems to be on it's foot now. I will wait awhile and see how it does. I have one more Ameraucana egg with a tiny hole in it, but I know that one could take awhile. Although... there was only a pip in the other eggs and they hatched within 2 hours. I know it's all different depending on where they were in the incubator though, as the temp is not constantly the same everywhere. I'm waiting impatiently! [​IMG] No Silkies yet, but my Silkies took awhile to hatch last time from first pip to birth, so I don't expect them to pop out for awhile, but I'd be [​IMG] if they did! I'll get pictures for everyone up here when I can.

9. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    We have 4 Ameraucana's now! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] There are two Ameraucana eggs left that have not yet pipped. None of my Silkies have hatched yet, but one has broken a hole through the egg, so I'm hoping they will hatch very soon!

The first one that hatched still has that hardened slick stuff on his tail end, but seems ok. At times the chicks seem a little hot, but we are trying to keep the temp as close to 99.9 as we can. Sometimes it goes up to 100.6, but I try to tap it back a little. Humidity varies from 65%-73% depending on if a chick has just hatched. They don't seem to have trouble hatching, although the membrane sure does seem tough. Tiny bits of shell stick to them, but only from falling onto them as they are hatching. I will have to get them off once the hatch is complete. Their bellies look so super fat and round! They are quite cute!

10. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Congrats! I bet the silkies start coming out here soon! [​IMG] As for the one with the sticky bottom....when your hatch is done and it is safe to open the incubator you could certainly wash off his back side. It will be fine for it to wait on it's hatchmates before he gets a fluff up on his backside. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by