Pic added!!! pg 3.... Sticky chick question, chicks out of bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, Apr 1, 2009.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Last night I had three pips. This morning, they look unchanged, but a different egg is half zipped. Seems my humidity is a tad low at 70% but I have all water troughs full. This is my first hatch in this genesis. It only has one vent hole, and I didnt think I should cover it... do you thinnk 70% is enough for the hatch? Today is only day 20 btw.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    My first hatch with a Genisis too....I've got one pip this morning, but it's at the wrong end of the egg!. i'ts a nice big air hole and I can hear the chick chirping a little. Anybody ever see this before?

My humity is reading 68%, but it's a cheapo wallmart thermometer, so I don't trust it. I'm following the instructions on the bator, filled both pans with water.

Somebody is playing a joke on us this morning too....Wrong end of the rooster?.....I know I typed in egg!

3. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    If you can hear it peeping I wouldnt' worry about it being at the wrong end. Is it at the very end, or more on the side? Air sacs aren'y always perfectly shaped, and most of mine actually pip out of the side, not the end.

I hope mine are ok....still no chicks. [​IMG]

4. greggy

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    It's definintly at the small end of the egg, but it's getting air and chirping, so wait and see....Day 20 for me too, I didn't expect it so soon...I would hesitate to close off any air suppy to increase humidity. If you have a lot of eggs (I've got 39) in the bator the birds will need the oxygen. It's nice to bump into somebody who's hatch coincides with mine...Lets compare notes.

5. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    It took over 16 hours for the e-ggs that had pipped to fully zip. I thought they would never come out but they did. Its hard to be patient isnt it!

6. greggy

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    Hey i've been to La La land too....nice country.

7. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Well I've had such bad luck in the past with chicks pipping/zipping and not hatching, that I'm paranoid now! LOL.

8. metcalfmk

metcalfmk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Just try to be patient, sometimes it can take quite a while. I had one that pipped Monday nite and finally hatched this morning. I guess that e g g was lazy hatcher!

(I am on to the e g g turning into rooster trick!)

9. metcalfmk

metcalfmk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Also, have you read the Read Me's on Hatching sticky at the top of this forum? It has some great tips on whether or not to intervene and help a c hic k hatch out of the e gg. I did help one of mine, and it turned out fine.

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    My last hatch, I had one pip and then not hatch until 26 hours later. I thought for sure it was a goner, but it's doing great now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by