PIC HEAVY - Double check these before I rehome! :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by featherz, Oct 23, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I am rehoming 15 birds today - I have 17 total, so I am hoping there are two pullets in here somewhere. However.. it's entirely possible I have all roos, in which case I'll rehome them all. The people who are taking them are aware that there are a lot of roosters here! Can you see two pullets in any of these pics? I'll post better pics of the two I pick out when I've got them all separated as a last double check. These pics were taken at 4AM in my dark barn when out doing chores so they aren't so hot. [​IMG]

They are all a few days short of five weeks old, so I know it can be a tough call - however two accidental roos are easier to deal with than 15! I have five cuckoo maran you will see roaming in the pics - I didn't bother to take separate pics because am 99% sure they are ALL roosters. /sigh. Huge red combs since three weeks!

Roo or hen? This was actually taken last week so four weeks old. My guess? Roo?
    [​IMG]

I SO wanted this one to be a girl, and at three weeks it looked to be so. But alas, here come the wattles.. My guess? Roo.. /sigh.. Almost tempted to keep him but..
    [​IMG]

Another pic showing the last two chickens in the back, taken this morning. The two chickens in the front - the one on the left is def a roo - not as pink, but huge and mean with big legs. The one on the right (light brahma) may be a pullet?
    [​IMG]

Another pic of my grey chicken (I think it's a blue maran):
    [​IMG]

No comment.. hahahaha
    [​IMG]

Pullets?
    [​IMG]

Pullet?
    [​IMG]

I'll update this thread with a group shot and my pics. I'm only keeping two birds so I'll post the ones I pick for final judging shortly. LOL.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    you do have alot of roos:-( The last picture though has me guessing its so early to tell:-(

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I know! Can you imagine out of 17 chicks hatched I have almost all roos? My silkies appear to be roo heavy also, but I'm keeping those for a while. They are just too cute. [​IMG] The cuckoo maran are 5 for 5! hahaha..

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    The first pic really has me thinking girl, but I cannot say for sure. I wanna say its a BLRW? Also the last one could be a girl also. The others I am pretty sure are boys.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yes, it's a BLRW. However, the chick in pic 1 is the same as the chick in pic 3. I think in pic 3 it looks a lot more roo-ish. I'm going to separate them out to my sunroom (to avoid people in my barn) and I'll get a better group shot then. The one scruffy looking light brahma has no pink in the comb but s/he is my friendliest chick and is feathering in late so.. Could ALSO be a roo. I'm so tempted to keep the fluffy gray one but I don't need any more roosters. [​IMG] There's also a lighter blrw - I was sure that one was a pullet, but s/he is pinking up a bit now at 5 weeks. I'll get a better pic, but s/he's on the right in this picture:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:ummm yah I dont have to imagine-I had that all Summer-my BLRW's 21 out of 26 roos!! I have 2 left at 18 weeks I have to rehome and 2 SLW GORGEOUS I have to rehome because I have no girls for them:-( Foley's lines believe me when I say it KILLS me to get rid of them-sweet huge beatiful birds! But 4 more roos than needed going into Winter rots:-(

7. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I would say the two in the back are both girls, but yours are hard to tell! [​IMG] I never second guess myself this much! My broody and her 5 keep me guessing every day! I would keep the ones you think are girls and see what happens. I doubt that a BLRW roo would be that hard to rehome, even if it was a roo. If you were in TX I would take one!

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Ok here's the donate to 4H pile (and yes, there may be a few possible pullets in there - I am not trying to stick it to little kids! [​IMG]). They are aware of the roo-ness of this lot and don't mind. I assume they will be soup eventually but they will have little kids to play with them until then. [​IMG] The CM's are obvious roos, but the blue orpington and one of the other larger light ones are also 100% roo - the legs are huge and they are mean chickies! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are my candidates to keep:

BLRW: a tiny bit of pink:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BLRW and light brahma (Same birds, different pose):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one bird that's feathering in really slowly has just a tiny touch of pink at the wattle. I'm wavering on his manhood. Could go either way. [​IMG]

Again, these are five weeks old. Thoughts?

9. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Hi, Don't be to hasty to say roo b/c the developement of a Wyd. is different than other breeds. Take a look at the saddle feathers at about 13 weeks. You will know more then. I thought for sure my GLW was a roo at 7 wks b/c of so much red on comb and started to dev. wattles before my other breeds that she was a he. Well I was wrong!! She was a SHE for sure. The saddle feathers told the truth once fully developed. Good luck and sorry about all the roos!!

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I noticed that too - my SLW had a reddish comb at three DAYS but is 100% pullet. I think I will send only 12 or 13 chicks to 4H and keep two of the BLRW. I am still waffling on the light brahma with the slow feathering. And I'd really like that blue maran (?!?!?) (big fluffy gray one) to be a pullet but I know if wishes were horses.. maybe they get early wattles too? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by