1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*PIC* Newly hatched Button Quail - splayed legs? Please help me!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maggienchamp, Apr 16, 2012.

1. maggienchamp

maggienchamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    This is my first time hatching chicks; Saturday night, 9 button quail hatched out of the 20 eggs that were in the incubator :) All of them are healthy, happy babies [​IMG] However, this morning I noticed another baby was starting to hatch. When he finally got out of his shell I realized he couldn't walk [​IMG] One of his legs was all the way back behind him. The other leg looks to be normal. Also, on one foot, his toes are slightly curled. I decided to put a band-aid on his legs like many people suggest doing. He seems to be okay, but he can't really stand, let alone walk. I feel so bad for him, all I want it for him to be able to walk correctly and be happy like the other buttons [​IMG] Right now he is in his own part of the brooder resting. As far as I know the little guy is eating and drinking normally.

Please help us!
    Liv

[​IMG]

2. maggienchamp

Aug 22, 2011
    Nobody? Then maybe someone knows when to take the band-aids off? I put them on around noon today, should I just wait 24hrs. then remove them? Thanks :)

3. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
  4. maggienchamp

Aug 22, 2011
    Hmmm...I don't think that's quite it, but thank you for the input :) I really like that website too

5. WI FarmChick

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. maggienchamp

Aug 22, 2011
  7. WI FarmChick

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin