Pic of crooked toes...is this painful??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TammyP, Aug 8, 2011.

1. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

I've got a few with toes like this..... is it because there is alot of gravel/rocks around and in the coop? I didn't notice them as much when they were younger but there are a couple with this.... different breeds also.

They seem to walk normal and all and aren't acting sicklike....should I be worried at this point and do something or just let it be?

~Tammy

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Crooked toes can be a result of injury, but they are just as often the result of incorrect temperatures during hatching. DId you examine the toes close up?

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have a tolbunt polish (actually a pair) and their bent toe looks like that. I think it is genetic as the dad has it also. I don't think it is painful.
    sharon

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    some chickens are born with crooked toes, it not any fault of yours. if you's caught it within their first weeks of live it could have been fixed using a 'shoe' (wrapping each to to hold it in a natural position until they stay that way) but since they are older now there isn't much you can do. they are probably not in any pain and will live relativly normal lives. just be sure to be extra careful about protecting them from predators as they can't run as fast as a chicken with intact feet.

5. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I have a 2 year old hen with that... she was from an incubator. I figured it was incorrect temp or humidity. She seems quite normal, walks, runs, eats, drinks and roosts. Highest pecking order actually, though it took until now for her to achieve that status! Roosts at a level of 4 feet with ease and this year she went broody but I didn't let her because it was a little late in our cold region. Next year maybe! There is no sign she is in pain though she walks down the ramp to the outside run a bit slower than the rest!

6. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    Phew, ok... thanks for the reply's everyone!

Blessings,
    ~Tammy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by