Pic of Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rock chicks please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hooterville, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm trying to identify my cuckoo marans I received from Cackle. I also ordered the rainbow layer special. I can't figure out if I have barred rocks, astrolorps and which ones are actually my cuckoos. [​IMG]

I was hoping some of you may have chick pics of the above breeds. I've looked at the Cackle website but I'm still confused!

I think this one is Astrolorp--
    [​IMG]

don't know!
    [​IMG]

another unknown
    [​IMG]

I'm going to take new pics tonight as today is their 1 week birthday--and they have grown so much!

TIA,
    Becky

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    pic 2 and 3 are look like cuckoo's. #3 is a roo, you can tell by the barring on the wings

Steve in NC

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Also look at feathersite.com they have pics of the chicks there

4. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    the first baby doesn't look like my australorp chicks, which have mostly yellow faces. i've seen ones with darker faces than mine have, but not the whole head black like that. it's very cute!
    here's a picture of two of mine to demonstrate:

[​IMG]

the second one looks like a barred rock and the third one looks like a cuckoo marans. is that possible?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  5. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I didn't know that the wing barring was an indication of a marans roo. [​IMG]

Now, I'm going to have to go home and see who all has that barring! I ordered 6 so I'm hoping at least 3 are pullets. I intend to keep just 1 roo for now so will have to re-home any others.

Here's a group shot from last night.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your suggestions!

6. mschreiner1

mschreiner1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    The last two pics look like barred rock. They have the yellow spots on their heads. So cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by