Pic of Hens Neck? What do I do? My heart breaks for her.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LadyofBlade42, Mar 6, 2014.

1. LadyofBlade42

LadyofBlade42 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    This is one of our hens "FRO" my sons favorite. Her neck is torn all up from the flock she is in with..Please does anyone know if I should remove her from the flock? I do NOT want to lose her. My heart is breaking for her and I need to keep her safe? Any advice from anyone would be helpful. My son will be crushed if anything happens to "FRO." Thanks..!!!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Remove her from the flock as soon as possible, they will just keep picking at her wounds. You will need to keep her separated from the others until she is completely healed. I'd spray the wounds with Blu-Kote or a similar wound spray, you can get that at any farm store. Chickens are pretty tough and with any luck she should heal fine.

3. chickengenius

chickengenius Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    That's a nasty wound! I agree. You should take her out of the flock, or else nest time it could be worst. When my chicken got pecked a lot and she got a wound, I put her in a large cage outside of the coop so that she could heal. I hope your hen gets well!

4. LadyofBlade42

LadyofBlade42 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    Thank You. I have removed her from the flock and I have treated her neck. She is by herself at this time until she heal up fully. Thanks for the advice. Greatly appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by