1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pic of my Feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by beach livin', Oct 2, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    Do you think this is fine? I made it today.

[​IMG]

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    did you put feed in it to try it out??.....looks fine to me!!!

3. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    not yet. i was so over all the work today [​IMG] if it doesnt work, ill just do another one. gots dozens of those buckets laying around...

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Might be just me but the bottom lip look a tad tall. The chickens are really going to have to crook their necks to get in there. And I don't think the feed is going to transfer into the feeder section like you want with the holes in the bucket the size they are. But the real way to tell is fill er up and see.

5. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Looks good, but from experience, open the holes up. Easiest way would be to make a couple ovals instead of just round holes. Depending on feed it will probably clog. Crumbles would probably be ok, but pellets don't dispense well from round holes, unless they are pretty good size.

TNT

6. gnatboy911

gnatboy911 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    I would definitely make the holes oval shaped. Vertical ovals worked well for me. I made a very similar feeder but had to make them oval when the pellet feed wouldn't come out. Now it works great.

7. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    AWESOME..................GOOD FOR U[​IMG]

8. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    In my experience, the inside of the bucket needs to have an upside down V shape to help the food fall out, otherwise once they eat what is in the edge no more comes out. or that's what happened with mine anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by