1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pic of my girls on exterior pirch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beach livin', Oct 4, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    got my girls last night. here they are on a branch i put in the run area. can you estimate how old you think they might be; person we got them from said he says they were hatched sometime this suumer, but cant remember when. they dont have any feathers around their face area, so is that normal? second pic shows face better. they are so thin also. the person before me didnt give them feed, they just pecked the ground all day [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    That looks great! Your gals look so precious!

3. NatureBoy86

NatureBoy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    South Florida
    Congrats on your new additions, If I had to guess maybe 3 to 4 months old. Try deworming and adding a higher protein feed mixed with triple grain scratch, should help with weight. Best wishes

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    they are darling!

5. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    Quote:I bought a 50lb bag of layer feed. Should that have the needed nutrients? And where do I get the de-wormer?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  6. NatureBoy86

Sep 29, 2011
    South Florida
    Do they free range? If not try adding a triple grain to the layer feed as well as a oyster shell grit to help with digestion. That should be plenty for healthy growth. As for the de wormer I buy my meds. online from Randall Burkey, or Murray Mcmurray hatchery, I just google their name to get the exact website, or if possible at local feed store which sometimes carry de wormers. Some people say some wormers dont work but ive used Worm off Piperazine tablets for 3 yrs with great results, these are offered at Mcmurray. Hope this helps [​IMG]

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    My RIR is a bit redder in the face and a bit more filled out and she is 16 weeks. My guess is about 12 or so.

8. Look like 16 weeks to me. Do not look like RIR's. Layer feed is fine now. Add cracked corn to their scratch for a while and they will put some weight on for you (not too much, I would only throw out 1 cup of scratch and 1 cup of corn once a day in the run for the few you have.

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oyster shell and grit are two different things and serve two different purposes. Oyster shell adds calcium to the diet for stong egg shells and grit (ground granite) serves as a digestive aid grinding seeds and grains and the like in the gizzard.

10. NatureBoy86

Sep 29, 2011
    South Florida
    KDK1- you are right, they are two different things. But Iam talking about a oyster shell/grit mixture my local farm supply near my home offers. Also they sell a oyster shell grit on Just4birds.com label as such. But hey thanks for your input.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by