Pic of my ridiculous mini-coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tracyree, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    So this is a long story. Have 3 chicks that are way way smaller than my 3 month old pullets. I was afraid to mix them as the babies are still so small even at almost 8 weeks. (two of them are silkies and one a white leghorn, my older girls are orpingtons and barred rocks- BIG)

So I get it in my head that I'll just partition off the predator proofed run, slap together a temporary mini-coop that the chicks will just use until they are big enough to mix with my existing flock; all very temporary.

So my husband built a little coop for them to sleep in. He did the "bones" of it and I decided it'd be fun to dress it up a bit, add trim and paint and all. So this all started on Sunday. Between building a partition in the run and "dressing up" the mini-coop and caring for two young children, I finally finished last night.

Have you ever worked on something for days and days and wondered why you went to all that trouble afterwards? I think I need to relearn the word "temporary"! Guess I didn't think it would end up taking so long, turned out to be more time consuming that I thought it would be.

So here's my incredibly silly mini-coop that the chicks should surely grow out of in a month or so. It's about 20"w, 36"l and 24" high.

[​IMG]

2. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    What a nice job - temperary doesn't mean that it can't be used again in the future. The way chicken math goes you know....

3. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    True. I think I'll use it in the future for a broody hen. I'll just need to make the door bigger, ha!

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

wow, it's really adorable and very well built!! Yeah, nothing about this is temporary! I'd keep it- you never know if you'll need it for a broody or an injured chicken! It might really come in handy!

5. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I see broody pen, and the small door is very appealing to chickens! It can also be used for anger management class as needed. Maybe a little hospital pen.

6. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    It looks nicer (and larger) than many of the "permanent" coops I've seen being sold online. [​IMG]

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

It's cute! [​IMG]

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    When you have a broody hen you'll be very glad to have it ready to go! My flock free-ranges but I was so glad to have a 4x4 A-Frame coop with attached 6x4 run when a hen went broody unexpectedly a month ago. She and her 7 chicks are now in it, safe from cat, dogs, and the other hens, not to mention the hawk that flew overhead yesterday.

9. chickmama1662

chickmama1662 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    That's not ridiculous ... it's what I have in mind for my chicks that have outgrown their brooder but are still too little to be in the big house. Nice job!

10. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Love it! You don't have to call it temporary, call it your permanent mini-coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by