Pic of new coop! I hope our chickens are happy!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LindsayB, Jun 6, 2008.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    My husband and I were kinda clueless building this coop, since this is our first time having chickens. But I think it turned out pretty good! If ya'll have any suggestions just let me know!

We didn't like the chicken wire idea so we used latice instead (I think it looks better)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can't tell in this pic, but this is actually a shelf for them to roost on...
    [​IMG]

2. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    Looks very nice! I really like the lattice!

Question: will you add nesting boxes later or are they just not shown in the pics?

Heather

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I like the lattice but are your chickens secure? The lattice will not stop raccoons, dogs, cats or oppossums but neither with the chicken wire.. I am just a worry-wart when it comes to securing them...Dixie

4. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Jacky'sMamma :

Looks very nice! I really like the lattice!

Question: will you add nesting boxes later or are they just not shown in the pics?

Heather

I had 2 nest boxes on top but they would lay eggs on the bottom in the corner...I put a small wooden box there now and its the only place they will lay. (I must have weird chickens or something)​

5. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    that's really cute, but i share dixie's concern about predators. what do you think about stapling hardware cloth to the inside of the lattice? then you would see the lattice and the wire wouldn't be so obvious, but your girls would be safe from raccoons and other varmints.

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    And don't forget about hawks. Even urban settings have hawks.

7. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    It would have to be a pretty brave animal b/c our german shepherd sleeps outside on our back porch lol.

8. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
  9. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I never really though about hawks...I thought our run was too narrow and too close to the house...hmm I might end up putting a cover over it now!

10. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    That is a very nice coop!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by