Pic of worm found near chicken poo. Tell me they don't have worms!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kuntrygirl, Aug 29, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I noticed this worm near one of my chicken's poo on yesterday. At first I thought it was just a regular worm that one of my chickens didn't eat. I went inside to put on my rubber gloves so that I could handle it. I picked up the worm and there was a long piece of "something" that I was able to pull out of the worm's casing. I was speechless. I wanted to run back inside and hide under the bed for fear of what is to come as far as treating a flock of over 100 chickens. Please tell me that my chicken's don't have worms. Please tell me that this is an uneaten worm that didn't come out of my chicken. Please tell me it ain't so. Please? [​IMG]

I couldln't even sleep last night worried about this problem. I checked out the chicken poo chart and the worms that I saw in one of the pics looks like the same kind of worm that I found last night. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Songster

Jul 4, 2009
    Yep, they have worms. You need to worm them. It's okay, everything gets worms. You just need to make sure you worm them every few months. I use Wazine and it works fine for me. you can get it at your local tractor supply store. Good Luck

Michelle

3. I worm my chickens that are not laying with Wazine, in their water, since you cannot eat the eggs for a while after you worm the hens. This method of worming saves a lot of intense labor, however, external parasites are not taken care of. [​IMG]

My laying hens are wormed with Eprinex, there is no withdrawal time for this wormer. However, this means that each and every hen has to be handled for her individual dose of wormer. Eprinex also gets external parasites taken care of [​IMG]

4. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Those are mature round worms. If you see that you need to worm with Wazine immediately and again in a couple of weeks, because they have lots of worm eggs in the intestines that will hatch out soon.

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Reading your posts, I am totally devastated! May I please ask a few yes or no questions? I sell my eggs, so these questions are very important. I collect from 30 - 40 dozen eggs EVERY week and I sell them to my customers. I won't be able to see any eggs until this matter is resolved.

Are the eggs that I picked yesterday eatable?

Do I throw away all eggs that are being layed until the worm treatment is finished?

Can the eggs picked from here on out be cooked and fed back to the flock?

How long to wait before I eat and sell the chicken eggs?

Can I give each chicken an individual dose of worm medication and how much?

Is there a worm medication that I can use that will still allow me to continue to eat and sell the eggs?

Will I have a nervous breakdown trying to worm over 100 chickens that all live in general population with ducks, geese and turkeys? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Ok great. I just posted a few questions and you have answered one of them. I knew that the experts on BYC would know. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by