*pic* Silver Laced Wyandotte chick and Cayuga duckling! (:

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
Last edited:
Be careful raising a duck with chickens and no other ducks. If its a drake it will often think it should mate with the chickens and can hurt your girls. Other then that gratz! Cayugas are the most beautiful duck out there. and they are bigger then a Khaki Campbell and smaller then a Ruen!

Last edited:
SOOOO Cute.
Cayuga ducks do not get HUGE but they do get to be about 6-7 pounds. They are IMO one of the friendliest ducks out there.
I too caution about ducks in with chickens. Ducks need water to swim in and can drown a chicken easily.
Mine were excellent mothers and hatched many babies for me.
They are not aggressive in my experience.
Enjoy your new friends.

Thanks everyone :) When Nemo is old enough to go outside I'll get him/her a kitty pool :) Day 3 and Nemo is doing great!! Nemo really likes to cuddle and also gets a large boost of energy about noonish! lol He/she reminds me of a puppy because he/she likes to play games with my hand lol I'm more of worried about how the chickens will act around Nemo than Nemo around the chickens.

I heard you can tell if its a boy or girl by the sound of it quack when they get older and their tail feathers; curly tail feathers are boys..Is there any other way to find out quicker? I guess I'm just so anxious!! :)

Ducks grow FAST! Cayugas are my absolute favorite ducks - I have 8 of them, four drakes and four ducks.

The males don't quack much and its a sort of gabble, low volume and low tone. The girls are the noisier ones but Cayugas are fairly quiet, even the girls. Mine only quack when they get annoyed about something and it's just a quick 3-quack complaint.

They are fairly large ducks. Their black feathers have an iridescent sheen of green, sometimes blue, sometimes purple to them. Gorgeous!

I have a feeling (I don't know for sure) that Nemo is a drake:) He/she has very low vocals it sounds like

Back
Top Bottom