Pick me a town!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MuranoFarms, Sep 16, 2010.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    It looks like I really am getting a divorce, DH wants to stay in the house. Fine. If I have to move I want it be be AWAY! I would like a small town, farm country, warmer then Pittsburgh! lol Hopefully only an hour or so from civilization [​IMG] Decent priced real estate.

Any suggestions?

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    sorry to hear [​IMG]

come live in Ste. Genevieve county Missouri with us !!!
    we are an hour south of st.louis, very lax county regs on animals, as long as you feed it and keep it in your yard nobody cares. Ste. Gen is the oldest European settlement west of the Mississippi. our personal property taxes are low. for two cars a truck 4 wheeler, tractor, trailer, and 4 horses it was $225. no taxes on less than 100 chickens.
    land prices are OK up the road from us is 20 acres with a farm house and two huge barns for $200,000. or there is 22 acres for $80,000
    we have all 4 seasons but they are not to extreme.

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Sorry too. [​IMG]

But if those are your stipulations...don't come to WI. Colder here than what you want. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
  5. itsmyobsession

itsmyobsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Georgia
    I too was from PA and when I got divorced needed a change. I had some friends in Georgia so I decided why not...........best move I've ever made.

It gave me a fresh start and a new life a chance to start over. I say find a place right for you and go for it, you won't regret it.

6. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    You can always try Kentucky. Pick your town and it will most likely meet your requirements. We live in Cecilia. An hour from Louisville which is a large city. 20 min from Elizabethtown which is a fair sized town. Walmart, target, barnes and nobles, Starbucks, heck we even have 2 places to get sushi. There are towns around like Glendale. You can live pretty rural on the outskirts but still be close to conveniences. Not too bad. Prices are generally low everywhere I have looked. Most of the state qualifies for USDA rural loans even. A friend of ours got 15 acres and a good size house I think for roughly 199,000 and he was within 30 min from the bigger city. We do get snow but not enough of it to make me happy. It is warmer. I am sure the other Kentucky people would have towns to suggest.

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want warm Texas definitely qualifies. Soggy but short fall and spring. HOT summer. Mild winters.
    South Texas has more rain/humidity I think. West Texas has less.

Arkansas is the same as North Texas but MORE.... more rain, sleet, snow, ice, hail... but with the same temps so the humidity can be a real bear. But it is a beautiful state. Lots of small towns, but even right there in Little Rock there are folks who'll stop and lend a hand to a stranger. Good people.

Oklahoma is also very pretty, but like Arkansas has TONS of pine/cedar so it's hard on my nose. Again some great folks, and similar weather. Though if memory serves they're even more likely for tornadoes than we are.

One really great thing about Arlington (not rural, it's a college/tourist city) is that tornadoes veer around it. Hit FtW, veer South to hit Mansfield/Kennedale, then veer back North to hit Dallas.... might get a little in the far South of Arlington, but mostly it's safe. LOVE that after growing up in Weatherford... that town gets hit by everything. This is one reason Indians settled here. When we move, those someday plans, I hope we can find a town that has that little bonus!!

The FEMA site can help you check for flood plains... that's always handy IMO... and I did find the By County list of tornadoes for Texas, gotta find that link, I stashed it somewhere...

If you can narrow it down some I can maybe hunt around for some info that might help.... pick a state... any state.

[​IMG] For You... even when it's needed (as with my Mom) divorce is never fun to deal with.

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Warmer than Pittsburgh huh? that's pretty easy, Alaska, Maine, Mt Everest would probably all be warmer. I grew up east of Pittsburgh. [​IMG] I don't miss the winters one bit.

I ended up in Eastern, NC and I really like the climate here, long spring and fall seasons, an inch or 2 of snow in thw winter is front page news and the place closes down for the day. It can get hot and humid in the heat of the summer which most people don't like. And hurricaine season can be no fun at all.

Steve

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Alaska? lol I'm not sure that's warmer the Pittsburgh! Yeah...Alaska is out. DH always says he wants to move there and I have a feeling he would if I went there. That state is just not big enough for the both of us! (not as mad as I am!) [​IMG]

I love speckledhens place, but it's a little too expensive for me. [​IMG] It would be perfect though!
    I was thinking about Ky. I traveled through there once, spent a week. It was really nice. I think Lexington in KY and Knoxville in TN was where I was sent. Both great areas!
    I have a brother in Tx. He loves it there. Does it get real hot in the summer? I lived in Miami before and I don't think I want to deal with that much heat again! lol

Thanks pinapplemama! I didn't know you could look up stuff on FEMA! I'll check it out.

10. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Sidney Montana......beautiful country, small town, lots of good paying jobs, great schools, only cold sometimes...... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by