pick me up for poorly chicken,with possible gapeworm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tasha82, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    hi.my little 16week old roo is poorly,my postto him it little bit further down.not sure whats wrong,were thinking gapeworm,were at the vets tom with him,hes not eating or drinking,so weve been given him tiny drops of water into his mouth with a syringe,put garlic in it like someone suggested along with some avc,hes taking it well just wont drink for himself,hes not really eaten either,now today wont eat,i gave him some moist bread with poultry spice on earlier,but is there somthing i could give him as a little pick me up,just to get him through tikll tom??x

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Try giving him scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk, make it liquidy so that you can syringe feed him (without needle.) Let him swallow it on his own once you get it in his mouth. You can also give him sugar water til you get him to the vet. Good luck.

3. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:thankyou,hes just eaten some scrambled egg, and i cooked the rest some rice upand hes walking around eating it,cant believe it,hes not eaten since yesterday,sugar water.wasnt sure if suagr water would be ok,someone toldme to grind garlic and put it in some ribena watered down,xx

4. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    after about 3hours of being normal again he went back to his gaping ,chesty breathing,hes now in a crate in the living room,took ur advice made him some scrambled egg put it in his cage with him as well as some water.hes actually settled won to sleep tonight which he didnt last night,at the vets tom,just hoping its not to serious,xx

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If he's eating and drinking, it's not gapeworm. Gapeworm clogs the windpipe and they literally choke gasping for air, he wouldnt be able to swallow anything. Still take him to the vet as planned. Here's some pics of gapes inside the trachea:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:yeah i saw those lovely pic while loking for his sypmtoms.were at vets today so fingers crossed.after he had those 3 hours being ok.he then aghain kept trying to eat but kept dropping the food.xx

7. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    weve just got back from the vets.he said hes ceretain its gapeworm,zeebs has got some cheesey looking stuff down his throat,her givehim an injection to clear it up.gotta to wait till fri if hes no better then hes going to treat him for something beginning with a t,hes out walking now with the rest just having somthing to eat b4 settling down,xx

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Sounds like canker. Did the vet give him flagyl?

9. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:Sounds like canker. Did the vet give him flagyl?

sounds like canker??im not sure what it was called he gave him,he didnt actually say the name,he injected it into his chest area.x

10. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Tasha, dawg gave me advise the other day and everyone around here says he's the guy. What about the rest of the birds, should you be watching them for symptoms, and did the vet take a throat swan, or just look?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by