Pick the best chick...(pic)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dwdoc, Jan 22, 2011.

1. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    Hello all,

After having had a very bad experience with a local breeder - I had to dispatch my first five birds - diseased.

I ordered 20 BR pullets from a hatchery; they arrived yesterday morning and all survived the trip and appear to be in great health.

Out of the 20 I intend to keep 4 may be 5.

So here is my question: How does one select the chicks to keep? What trait am I looking for? I have watched them and some seem more active than others. Some seem more dominant, while others seem to be loners.

Once I have made my selection I will mark my birds and sell the rest (hopefully).

Thanks for your assistance.

BTW: I have read several negative post about Efowl.com; but I have to say that my experience has been exceptional thus far. They communicated well (even by text message), the birds were shipped well and they ALL arrived alive and appear very healthy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    are you looking for show prospects, or as close to the breed standard as possible , your best option is to look up the breed in the APA (american poultry assosiation) and go from there , if just want them for pets and eggs then that comes down to your personal likes . best of luck to you and have fun with your new flock !

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I would keep them a bit, you'll know more about indivual bird once they are older.

4. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    I am not looking to show the birds. I am just starting a back yard flock and want the best bird possible. My only real experience with pets is with dogs. I know people usually stay away from runts because they tend to be less healthy etc... Does the same apply to chickens? How do I know which bird is the best to keep?

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Runts aren't always less healthy, sometimes they catch up to the other birds and you'd never notice they were a runt. Like a said, I would keep them until they are a bit older. That way you might know the sexes and they have time to develop a personality.

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Go to the pet store & buy a couple boxes of meal worms. I use these as treats.

When you give the meal worms to the chicks at first they all scream & run away - then over time -one will get brave & come & get the treat.

That one will run around & cheep like its xmas!

Long story short - once you train some chicks to come & get it - these chicks will forever trust your hand & as they grow up they will associate treats with you.

When they are older - they will be very friendly & follow you around the yard & come when called etc.

At least that was my experience.

Pick the ones that best attach themselves to you & your treats. They will be the most friendly adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by