Picked and bleeding

Stephanie8806

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
Hey they’re BYC, this morning when I took my chickens up some fresh water I saw something a little concerning. My silver Wyandotte’s neck feathers were quite bloody, clearly picked at.
There are 3 specific chickens that have always had picked bald spots at the base of their tails, but it’s only about silver dollar sized... small enough that you can see it’s there, but it stays mostly covered be the other feathers. Obviously not ideal, but since there’s never been bloody or an escalation, I just wrote it off as standard family drama/pecking order stuff.

About a week ago, I noticed a small bald spot developing on my Wyandotte’s neck(one of the ones who is already picked on). It hasn’t really been growing, but overnight it got bigger and I noticed that there was quite a bit of dried blood on her feathers. Upon close inspection, I couldn’t see any broken skin. Just blood covering the shafts and feathers.

I have a flock of 9 hens. No rooster. They have about 80 sq feet in their coop, and about 400 in their run. Their little door leading to the run stays open, as the run is protected... so they have continued access to the whole space. And during the day, their run door is left open so that they can free range. I don’t think space is the issue, and I’m certain the picking is happening in the coop or on the roosts at night.

I’m planning on bringing her down to the house today to clean up the blood and dry her off, but I’m not sure what to do for her. She’s been doing fine in our cold weather, but with this bald spot bigger and our cold snap(low teens-single digits) set to last for a few more days, I don’t want her to suffer in the cold or continue to get picked bloody. I have pick-no-more that I can apply to her, but I’m wondering if it may get be better to keep her in the house in a crate for a few days? Or will that not make much of a difference?

If you haven't tried PNM yet, it's worth a try to see if that helps with any nighttime/roost pecking. I've personally had MUCH better success with Blu-Kote spray for covering up wounds or barespots long enough for them to start healing, leaving other flock members less interested.

If you aren't noticing any active bullying during the day then chances are it is just a roost boredom thing during the extended nighttime hours we have this time of year.

If you haven't tried PNM yet, it's worth a try to see if that helps with any nighttime/roost pecking. I've personally had MUCH better success with Blu-Kote spray for covering up wounds or barespots long enough for them to start healing, leaving other flock members less interested.

If you aren't noticing any active bullying during the day then chances are it is just a roost boredom thing during the extended nighttime hours we have this time of year.

I haven’t tried the PNM yet as this is the first marked escalation I’ve seen. If it doesn’t work, I will certainly get some Blu-kote. I’ll probably order some now regardless, it sounds like a good thing to have on hand.

That’s a good point about roost boredom. I don’t have any supplemental light in our coop or run... I’m wondering if giving them some more light and therefore extending their activity hours would be beneficial? Even for only a few extra hours in the evening...

On amazon I’m seeing Blu Kote “for horses goats and dogs”... is that typte suitable for chickens, or do I have to find a poultry specific one?

This is my poor Louise, pre-bath. I’ve got her on a towel in a larges dog crate. A bowl of water and some snacks. Will do my best to get her cleaned up, the bloody feathers are pretty matted together.

I will also note that the bald spot on her neck is much larger than this picture shows, but the feathers cover it well. There are no open wounds on the skin, the blood is coming from the broken feather shafts

Attachments

• 63CA4EB4-DFFA-4C9F-AB04-73AA4FF72B82.jpeg
    63CA4EB4-DFFA-4C9F-AB04-73AA4FF72B82.jpeg
    535 KB · Views: 5
  • 748DEEFD-DBF0-4959-A176-5DB471C5AFE9.jpeg
    748DEEFD-DBF0-4959-A176-5DB471C5AFE9.jpeg
    640.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Here she is clean and mostly dry. I am debating having her stay inside tonight to ensure that she’s all the way dried out before going back to the cold coop with the rest of the flock. I’m happy with how much the clean neck feathers puffed back up.
She seems okay, mostly nervous about being in the house by herself. We have her down in our daylight basement. She’s got a little bowl of water and some snacks so I think she’s doing okay.

Now I’m mostly Debating whether I should take her back up to the main coop today or leave her inside for one night. It’s only something like 55-60 degrees in our basement but I don’t want her to get too acclimated to the warmer environment... after all she will be going back out into single digits...

Attachments

• 337ADD80-BD84-478C-8D88-E83ECA8ABDE2.jpeg
    337ADD80-BD84-478C-8D88-E83ECA8ABDE2.jpeg
    619.7 KB · Views: 5
Hey they’re BYC, this morning when I took my chickens up some fresh water I saw something a little concerning. My silver Wyandotte’s neck feathers were quite bloody, clearly picked at.
There are 3 specific chickens that have always had picked bald spots at the base of their tails, but it’s only about silver dollar sized... small enough that you can see it’s there, but it stays mostly covered be the other feathers. Obviously not ideal, but since there’s never been bloody or an escalation, I just wrote it off as standard family drama/pecking order stuff.

About a week ago, I noticed a small bald spot developing on my Wyandotte’s neck(one of the ones who is already picked on). It hasn’t really been growing, but overnight it got bigger and I noticed that there was quite a bit of dried blood on her feathers. Upon close inspection, I couldn’t see any broken skin. Just blood covering the shafts and feathers.

I have a flock of 9 hens. No rooster. They have about 80 sq feet in their coop, and about 400 in their run. Their little door leading to the run stays open, as the run is protected... so they have continued access to the whole space. And during the day, their run door is left open so that they can free range. I don’t think space is the issue, and I’m certain the picking is happening in the coop or on the roosts at night.

I’m planning on bringing her down to the house today to clean up the blood and dry her off, but I’m not sure what to do for her. She’s been doing fine in our cold weather, but with this bald spot bigger and our cold snap(low teens-single digits) set to last for a few more days, I don’t want her to suffer in the cold or continue to get picked bloody. I have pick-no-more that I can apply to her, but I’m wondering if it may get be better to keep her in the house in a crate for a few days? Or will that not make much of a difference?
Please keep in mind whenever you take a hen out of the pen for more than a day or sometimes less she will have to be the low girl on the totem pole you might say! Which in turn means she is going to get picked and pecked on.

Please keep in mind whenever you take a hen out of the pen for more than a day or sometimes less she will have to be the low girl on the totem pole you might say! Which in turn means she is going to get picked and pecked on.

She’s already the lowest on the totem pole... most picked on of the three. She was only inside for a total of about 3 hours. I washed her and dried her and gave her time to settle down a bit. The rest of the flock was pretty unphased when I took her back up. We’ll see what the morning brings

Back
Top Bottom