Picked and nearly naked hen.

Sakai

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
My hens molted hard this year. One is nearly naked. But she's been this way for months which led me to believe we had feather pickers.
I gave more protein and 2 weeks later the rest look great but the naked one is still naked.
I separated her and 2 others. Noticed one picking so i tossed her back in the run and coop.
All was good, i gave scrambled egg, mealworms, boss and fish meal. My naked one was starting to grow feathers!
Well this morning i went out at she has two drops of blood welling up from her back. The other must be picking her as well.
I don't want her to be alone. But i want her to get her feathers back. It's starting to get cold. Should i separate her and the other? Try that No Pick that I've read about? Blue kote? Can she stay warm by herself?

Attachments

• 20181030_065818.jpg
    20181030_065818.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 18

Rach1802

Chirping
Nov 5, 2018
Suffolk, UK
We had one that was bald all over her back for several months with no noticeable pickers except sometimes herself, at her tail. They have just suddenly started coming back when we had given up hope so maybe some just take a long time?

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
My hens molted hard this year. One is nearly naked. But she's been this way for months which led me to believe we had feather pickers.
I gave more protein and 2 weeks later the rest look great but the naked one is still naked.
I separated her and 2 others. Noticed one picking so i tossed her back in the run and coop.
All was good, i gave scrambled egg, mealworms, boss and fish meal. My naked one was starting to grow feathers!
Well this morning i went out at she has two drops of blood welling up from her back. The other must be picking her as well.
I don't want her to be alone. But i want her to get her feathers back. It's starting to get cold. Should i separate her and the other? Try that No Pick that I've read about? Blue kote? Can she stay warm by herself?
The bare spot is on the back? That might be from over breeding, or a hen that is showing dominance by "mating" behavior. Use the blue cote but get a hen saddle for her to wear.

Nutrina sells feather fixer feed that will help too. You do not want to feed too much treats like fishmeal, eggs and etc.

Sakai

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
I'm making a Saddle for her this comming weekend. Hopefully it will help keep her warm and help any future picking and over breeding. I suspect she must be the favorite or perhaps low in the pecking order and is being dominated by everyone else.

Will be getting her feather fixer tomorrow for sure.

I am worried about reintroducing her alone. Which was the main reason I pulled two others with her (Now down to one other) I'll be keeping the saddle on her to give her a bit more protection.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I have 2 bare backed hens, SLW's...been bare for months and months.
Initially they lost their back feathers due to being 'weak feathered' in conjunction with treading wear.
I do think they are eating their own pin feathers, they start to grow back then disappear.
Actually only have one left, the other went to stew due to other issues...time will tell if the one left molts and grows them back in for good. She's shedding a few feathers but is still laying once or twice a week.
Had have bare-backs over winter before, don't think they suffered too much.

The saddle might help, but keep an eye on things under there, it might interfere with pin feather growth.

Do let us know how it works out.
Best of cLuck!

Top Bottom