Picked On 2 Month Old

tish_matt

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Mass.
We just picked up 9 more chickens a few weeks ago. The chicks are now about 2 months old and one of them is being picked on to the point of bleeding and losing feathers. We set her aside for a few days in her own area. Then reintroduced her to her "friends" and they began to pick on her immediatly.

What should we do?

The main thing is they are ALL going to an outdoor coop by the end of the week, and i mean ALL of them, they are to big and noisy to keep in the house any longer.

Thoughts?Suggestions?

You should put Blue Kote on the areas that are wounded to discourage others from picking at that area.
I am too new at raising chickens to offer any additional advice...sorry.

Try keeping them separated with something that they can see each other through until the baby heals. Keep them apart like that for approximately 1 week, then try to put them together again.

Might be confusing. We have 10 one year old chickens in a seperate coop/run. We got 9 NEW chicks that are now 2 months old. I have build another coop/run for the new chicks untill this summer when we will join both flocks together.

I will have to look into something that i can apply to her so they hopefully will leave her alone. Seperating them is NOT going to work, we have no where to really put her.

Space now is 4x4 in the corner of my daughters room, new space will be 4 x 6 but will include a run outside.

We just picked up 9 more chickens a few weeks ago. The chicks are now about 2 months old and one of them is being picked on to the point of bleeding and losing feathers. We set her aside for a few days in her own area. Then reintroduced her to her "friends" and they began to pick on her immediatly.

What should we do?

The main thing is they are ALL going to an outdoor coop by the end of the week, and i mean ALL of them, they are to big and noisy to keep in the house any longer.

Thoughts?Suggestions?

You need to separate the offender... NOT the offendee.

Back
Top Bottom