Picked on/ BLOODY head

horsefeathers09

Songster
14 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Yikes, Orphington Hen picked on so bad the top of her head was dripping with blood. Her comb looks ok, but what a mess her head is. She is now resting comfortably in our shedrow barn but now she's not protected from predators unless she stays there - which actually she is. Anything I should be treating her with? She's eating and drinking and oddly enough doesn't show signs of being in discomfort. BTW, putting her in a cage of any type is out of the question - it is 95 in the shade here and she needs the ground to dig to stay cool. Appreciate any advice.

Not sure about the caging issue, perhaps cage her inside for a few days? I'd try washing gently with just water, dab it dry and apply triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin. But not the ones with the 'caine painkillers in it. Just the plain stuff.

Then figure out what happened, so it can't happen again.

Our roo went through the same problem just a few weeks ago and he's made a huge recovery. I'd clean up the wound and add some salve to it to make the chicken feel comfortable. (There's some stuff you can put on to help the wound out. If only I can remember the name....) Make sure you keep the hen separated for some time before you put her back in the pen with the others so that the wound can heal for some time, because chickens will keep pecking at her if her wound hasn't completely healed. (also they are attracted to blood, and that's a sign of disaster if she's with them.)

Hopefully she recovers!

Use Blue Kote or Wound Kote as it's sometimes called!! Will mostly protect them from getting pecked on again!!

Hope your Orph makes a speedy recovery!!

Missi

I did use that blue kote applied with a rag, but trying not to get it in her eyes is quite a chore. She won't hold still, but I think I can get the triple antibiotic stuff on - I'll try that, Thanks

I wouldnt stand still either if you put that Blue Kote stuff on me! ....its nothing but rubbing alcohol and methanol blue...the stuff you dye slides of your cheek cells in biology class! Clean it up with a antibacterial soap and triple abx ointment. When you want to put her back with her flock, paint the wound with acryllic craft paint that matches her feathers.Acryllic paint when dry forms a glue like substance and will protect her. When the scab falls off so will the paint. Ive done it...it works.

Back
Top Bottom