Picked On Chick, New Chicken Mother Needs Help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NanazChickenz, Oct 2, 2016.

1. NanazChickenz

NanazChickenz Just Hatched

Aug 5, 2016
    Washington State
    Yesterday morning I fed our 10 chicks, about 8 week old, all appeared well. By evening , noticed the back of one named Bear had a large bare spot. I observed another chick, Goldie, pecking at Bear so all the new feathers had been pecked off. The ends of the feathers remain in the skin like when you don't get all of a sliver removed.
    My questions, do I need to remove remaining feather ends and how long before new feathers grow back?
    I believe the chicks have out grown the stock tank they are currently living in. I have removed Bear and another chick to another container. My daughter and I are building a very large coop but we are about a week out from completion.

1 person likes this.
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, NanazChickenz, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community. I wouldn't remove the ends of the feathers....they will grow out on their own. Plus you don't want even a drop of blood to show up or the others will really go after that one. You did the right thing by separating that one out to a different brooder. If a skin wound ever does develop, a product called Blue Kote is effective in deterring further picking. Once they're in the big coop the problem may have resolved itself with the greater area - the picked on one will be better able to get away. Close confinement often results in what you're seeing with Bear and Goldie, If you're still having issues after the move to the coop here's an article on the pecking order that may lend some understanding https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/a-guide-to-understanding-the-chicken-pecking-order
    And if Goldie continues after Bear or starts in on others, here's an article for that https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bullying-behavior-in-chickens
    Best of luck to you!! :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links from redsoxs already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I think that working on a larger space for them is a great way to start, and I would also strongly recommend applying an anti-picking solution (such as Pick-No-More) to the area.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Good threads to check out. I really believe that a larger area for them will help.

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Deleted my post..wrong thread....Hello! lol

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello and welcome to Backyard chickens! You have gotten great advice and links, so I will just say hello and good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by