Picked on chicken

Allman27

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
We have a 25 week old hen that was picked on until she bled by her comb. We seperated her from the other 5. But do we keep them seperate at night? We have a seperate coop she's in now. She stopped bleeding, so back with the others? Or away for the night? Thanks

Comb injuries heal up pretty quick, even the they can bleed a lot.
Separation should not be necessary.
But find out why she got pecked.....
.....new birds added, rowdy cock/erel, crowding.

Comb injuries heal up pretty quick, even the they can bleed a lot.
Separation should not be necessary.
But find out why she got pecked.....
.....new birds added, rowdy cock/erel, crowding.
Are you ok aart?! You didn’t ask for pics! :lau

Sorry there is no pics, but they have been together since they were chicks, all about 25 weeks now. 6 girls, she is the smallest, but not by much. She gets picked on a bit when they free range in the yard. But when i let them out of their run this evening for a bit i noticed it. Their coop is 5'x5' and their run is 5'×8'. Too small for 6 chickens? Thanks

Sorry there is no pics, but they have been together since they were chicks, all about 25 weeks now. 6 girls, she is the smallest, but not by much. She gets picked on a bit when they free range in the yard. But when i let them out of their run this evening for a bit i noticed it. Their coop is 5'x5' and their run is 5'×8'. Too small for 6 chickens? Thanks
Kinda small, yeah.
Are they laying yet?
Have had some comb injuries that I wouldn't have even known about but for the blood spatter and looking hard for the wound.

Yes they are all laying, thanks for your help, ill expand their run before it gets too cold.

Yes they are all laying, thanks for your help, ill expand their run before it gets too cold.
If you live in a harsh winter climate best make your run weather proof so they have that extra space to avoid CabinFeverClashes.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1601428379014.png

Back
Top Bottom