Picked on Chicks - bloody bottoms

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stonerowfarm, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    I just picked up on Saturday 17 3-week old chicks. Yesterday I went in, changed their bedding (pine shavings), raised up their waterer and their food.

A few hours later the chicks seemed to be riled up, chirping and squawking a bit. I checked on them and two of the chicks were getting picked on and their tail feathers were pecked out and their little bottoms a bit bloody.

I removed them to a separate cage but am worried why the other chicks did this. Before I went to bed I checked on the little ones and they were picking on each other's bottoms as well. I placed a towel over the cage (they are inside the house) and this seemed to calm them down.

This morning the 15 are doing fine. Eating, drinking, running around. The two in the separate cage are also eating and drinking but as soon as I took the towel off the cage they started pecking bottoms again.

Help - what should I do, and most importantly what shouldn't I do. Why are these two all the sudden getting picked on.

thanks

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    What color of light do you have in with them? If it's not a red bulb, go get one and switch it out.

Also, how much room do they have? Picking almost always indicates that the chicks are to crowded. Try switching to a bigger box or brooder.

3. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    They are in a bathtub in the house. The room is very warm and in the last day or so if I put on the white brooder light they freak out running and squawking, so I've kept it off. I keep a regular light on for them all the time. It's on the side so it's not super bright.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Well room doesn't sound like an issue then. If you will go and get a red bulb, it will help tremendously with the picking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by