Picked on Hens, 1 is sneezing.... caused by Stress or what?

KelsT

Chirping
Apr 6, 2015
So frustrated! I have two hens that are getting picked on, seemingly out of nowhere.
I have been using pick no more the last 2 days I think its helping.
However, one is missing more tail feathers and they got a bleeder.
She just finish molting and now is getting picked on, while applying the "pick no more" tonight I noticed she has developed a sneeze. I am assuming it's stress. the other is not sneezing. There is no other sign of illness aside from sneezing and its a very clear watery fluid with some dirt in it...maybe too much dust?

I did just recently clean the coop and put in new pine shavings.
I put poultry drench at that time in the water as well as some vetRX when I did the deep clean. I was making sure i did not have mites.

I have 1 large dog crate, but 2 hens that should be separated so they can heal.... AAAAAHHHHH

I also have given them straw for the first time today and put treats in it hoping to keep them entertained so there would be less bullying. Friday I have the day off so I can babysit them and watch what is happening more.
Any suggestions? sigh!
oh they are the only two that are tan/gold in color the others are darker colors, one Brown leghorn, a SLW, SLpolish, Black sexlink, barred rock. the 2 that are getting picked on are easter eggers.
Both are laying daily....

Hi,

It could be that the ones that are getting picked on may have some illness (chickens recognise a sick flock member way before symptoms appear obvious to we humans) or that the being picked on has caused sufficient stress to reduce the ability of their immune system to suppress whatever illness they may be carrying. Having said that, the sneezing may be something and nothing - just keep an eye on them, i.e. this paragraph could well be irrelevant.

You've done the right thing by separating them. Maybe put vitamin supplements or electrolytes in their water as it should help give their immune system a boost. Once theres no sign of blood, you can return them to the flock - it could well be that you have a bully hen which hopefully (if that is the case) you will be able to observe when you are at home. If you do identify a culprit, then it should be sent to chicken prison for a week or so and see if the resultant lowering of her status within the flock deters further bullying.

There are a number of possible causes of bullying and rather than spew them out here, you may wish to search for them here on BYC. Maybe they can help you identify or at least limit the scope of the possible causes.

Good luck

CT

If you do identify a culprit, then it should be sent to chicken prison for a week or so and see if the resultant lowering of her status within the flock deters further bullying.
if I find a bully do I segregate her out of view or in view of the others?

Thanks for the info, I am going to watch close but i have a feeling the sneezing might be dust in her nose. she conveniently sneezed on my bathroom mirror 2 times and it was all just clear water fluid with some actual dustin in it I looked close. but I am going to monitor it as it could be the first signs of something more serious.

I know they must be stressed as she JUST finished molting and was almost fully feathered when she started getting picked on. of my 7 only 3 molted, and they just got back to laying regularly.

I have been adding the straw and stuff to try to entertain them its rainy and icky out so I think there is some boredom happening.

thanks for the info! I will read about bullying!

if I find a bully do I segregate her out of view or in view of the others?

Thanks for the info, I am going to watch close but i have a feeling the sneezing might be dust in her nose. she conveniently sneezed on my bathroom mirror 2 times and it was all just clear water fluid with some actual dustin in it I looked close. but I am going to monitor it as it could be the first signs of something more serious.

I know they must be stressed as she JUST finished molting and was almost fully feathered when she started getting picked on. of my 7 only 3 molted, and they just got back to laying regularly.

I have been adding the straw and stuff to try to entertain them its rainy and icky out so I think there is some boredom happening.

thanks for the info! I will read about bullying!

I'm honestly not sure what difference it makes if a bully is either in or out of sight of the rest of the flock, but i think i would put her somewhere out of sight of the rest of the flock.

CT

Back
Top Bottom