1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Picked to death!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by max13077, Dec 9, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm so sad.

I went out to the coop last night and one of my favorite buffy's, Honey Bear was dead. She had been picked to death. Her butt was covered with blood and her backside gashed open. Another hen had been bloodied in he rump as well, but she was still alive. I have her in the house trying to heal her up.

This has to STOP! It is now WAR [​IMG] I have a couple of notorious pickers that are now gone. I thought they had eased up, but obviously not. I sprayed everybody down with hotpick. I hope I got the main perpetrators. I can¬ít stand the senselessness of this.

2. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I know exactly how you feel. I had a "rash" of this last year and was finally able to get them to stop but not after I had lost 3-4 hens. It took alot of cabbages, oats, and "toys" to keep them busy and not think about pecking.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    That sounds so gruesome! What would cause such severe pecking? Were the victims new to the flock? How crowded are they in the enclosure?

4. mksenoj

mksenoj Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    UpState, New York
    I have the same question from the above post

5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry, I know how you feel. About a month ago I had to cull one of my girls because she was attacked by a predator then the others picked her so bad there was no saving her. It is so sad. Hope you got the perps. Best wishes.

6. the1moe

the1moe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    I had a similar problem... I have 50 chicks at about 4 weeks old now... they are in a large brooder, 8 x 8 feet with pine shaving and screen on top.... yet with all this space, one chick was getting picked on relentlessly.... I caught it in time and removed the chick and placed him in a small children's pool. the next day, they started picking on another chick and I also removed him from the crowd. The two chicks are getting along just fine with each other and are healing just great. I also have purchased some "Blue Coat" medicinal spray and will be spraying their rear ends this weekend and putting them back in with the regulars. I also rake up the pine shavings daily, to loosen them up a bit and make mounds within the pen, the chicks then stay busy scratching through the mounds.... this has worked for me thus far... good luck...///Moe

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I lost one of my Faverolles to this problem a couple weeks ago and I am still trying to find the culprit...when I do....it is OFF with her head.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You're 100% sure it isn't a rodent attack? They're notorious for slashing at the vent area.
    Maybe an ugly predator is sneaking in at night...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  9. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:I was thinking that too.Could start with a rodent but,once it's opened and exposed the others will peck at it. Will

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    What does it mean and why would it happen? Is this something cooped chickens will do out of boredom? Someone 'splain it to me, please. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by