Picked Up a LG Still Air for $2.00 today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Eggcellent, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    I love living out "in the country" now. I stopped at a garage sale today and bought a LG 9200 incubator for 2 bucks! The lady said she only used it once to hatch some quail eggs and it worked well.

Now I gotta modify it for forced air and build a turner... Or would it be better to use it as a hatcher so I can put more eggs in my DIY incubator? Hmmmmmmmm the possibilities.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Wow. Can't beat that!

3. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Quote:It would have been better if I found it before spending half a day building a incubator but I REALLY can't complain about the price. [​IMG]

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I am feeling very generous today so I was thinking I would let you double your money and Id give you $4 for it

[​IMG]

5. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Quote:Thanks for the very generous offer. I am kind of greedy and I need to at least make 110% profit though [​IMG]

6. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    that's what i have, and from reading, a lot of people think they're not that great. i'll see how it goes...

i would say why not keep that one for lock down.. pop the eggs in there when it's time, clean out the bator and start again.. saves a few days.. lol... get those chickies rolling out faster....

7. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Whether you decide to use it for an incubator or a hatcher, I think you should put in a fan to get good air/humidity/heat circulation.

I am doing this with an extra "still-air" incubator that I have. I am using an old computer fan that I had in my "scrap pile".

(Installing the "fan-kit" from Little Giant would be a lot easier. [​IMG] It's probably available at your local Farm Supply/Feed Store.)

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

8. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Here is what I did with my fan from a puter.

I found an old power supply from a rechargeable phone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Great deal!!!!!

10. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mike555444, and ALL,

Coincidentally, the 12 volt adapter that I am using with the computer fan is ALSO from an old rechargeable phone! [​IMG]

I am mounting the fan in the same area where the Little Giant fan goes (must be offset from styrofoam for air circulation.) I also will be building an "air-deflector" today to keep the computer fan from blowing directly upon the eggs.
    I don't want the fan to draw moisture OUT of the eggs! [​IMG]

Because of the "offset", the computer fan will be closer to the eggs.

I plan to use this unit as a "hatcher". My other Little Giant has an egg-turner and will be used as the primary incubator. [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by